We are excited to bring you a new game to play on Gateway that features a unique way to level up your companions, earn rewards and have a little fun at the same time.
Sword Coast Adventures is a press-your-luck, dice-matching game in which players send a party of 4 companions into a series of random, mysterious locations to earn rewards and gain companion experience.
Sword Coast Adventures is quick and fun to play.
Let's take a look at the game and a little about how to play.
To begin you will need a few things.
[*]A Mobile is currently not available. To play you will need to use a desktop, laptop or device that can show full size html (portrait mode might work for some devices)
- Make sure you have a character on the Preview Shard with 4 companions.
- in your browser (Currently Chrome & Firefox will give you the best experience) navigate to: gatewaytest.playneverwinter.com
Once you have logged in to Gateway on the preview shard, select the character with 4 companions.
Select the Sword Coast Adventures button to begin playing.
Gameplay is pretty straight forward. The basic steps are..
- Select an adventure on the Overworld map (one that is around the same Tier (rank) as your companions)
- Build your party (select the companions that you want to use on the adventure)
- Select a challenge to complete
- Roll your dice and match symbols on the challenges (dice have symbols that you click to match against challenges)
- Complete the final challenge to complete the adventure (once the final challenge is complete you return to the overworld map)
Let's talk a little about the various aspects of the game.. There is little bit of reading ahead so hang in there
- Adventures cover Ranks 1 - 30 (matches up with Companion ranks)
- Cost stamina to play.
- Stamina cost increases with Rank
- Each companions has stamina and dice that increase as they rank up.
- All companions start with 6 D6 dice and earn additional special dice as they rank up.
- These special dice enable the companion to take on bigger challenges.
- Companions dice are not all the same.
- Some companions are better at some challenges than others.
- You may need to build a party of champions with their dice in mind.
Challenges are made up of trials and come in a few varieties.
Trials and Dice rolls-
- Failing a roll requires a discard of a dice (your choice)
- Success of a dice roll means there is a dice that has a matching symbol
- Click the dice to use the die and defeat a trial
- Used dice become locked and cant be used again
Failing a challenge-
- Failure of a challenge causes your party to lose HP.
- Loss of all party HP is a fail condition of a challenge
- You can attempt the challenge again
Companion cool downs-
- Once a companion is used for a challenge it cannot be used again until the rest of the party has gone.
Winning and losing-
- Completing challenges earns the participating companion XP each time
- Completing challenges earns the player a reward each time (gold, other stuff)
- Completing the Final challenge earns the party some XP (split between pets) and the player some other rewards
- You can leave at any time and keep what you earned as long as you are not in a challenge
- If you lose all party HP you get no rewards.
That's the basics of the game.
I would really like to see what you think of it and what can make it better.
We are all really excited about the game and think it is a lot of fun.
Use this forum to tell us about your experiences and give us as much feedback as you can.
please keep in mind that we are in Beta and there is likely going to be some strangeness.
The Gateway Dev team will be watching this thread for your feedback so let us have it!!
Thanks a ton!
- NeverwinterPreview Shard
- NeverwinterPreview - Gateway
- Official Cryptic Feedback Thread: Sword Coast Adventures
Results 1 to 10 of 259
11-01-2013, 06:34 PM #1
Official Cryptic Feedback Thread: Sword Coast Adventures
11-01-2013, 07:18 PM #2
Ran one adventure so far and this is really cool. The flavor text for the various encounters is a great. Wonderful addition to the gateway. Two thumbs up. I'm curious if there are any unique rewards that can only be found using this? If not, can there be in the future? I will play it either way, but would be cool if there was a chance as something really interesting.
The only negative I have is that it tends to be a bit laggy. I will select a die to use, it will show the number going down and the back up and back down. Several times I have clicked a die and it will just do nothing until eventually I relog and it will show me using the die I selected.
I noticed when I hover over the loot, it will tell me no minimum level. Only upon logging into the game after collecting the loot did I find out the level.
11-01-2013, 07:26 PM #3
On my third adventure, loving it so far. This will give me something to do while waiting for professions. :P I, too, would like there to be unique rewards, including crafting rewards (green assets? I can dream can't I?) just to make it unique. I was wondering if loot could be scaled to level. For example, seals of the Lion are pretty useless for a 60, but useful to someone starting out.
I had the same issue that @dardove had: it lagged once and I had to reload the page to get it to work right (and lose the roll I had).
11-01-2013, 07:37 PM #4
Are there official names to each of the symbols? I'm guessing shield and key, but what about the other two?
11-01-2013, 08:20 PM #5
As far as rewards go, this is are first pass and will be tuning rewards over the next few weeks. Profession rewards are not off the list so you can look forward to those at some point. We are also working on an adventure that ends with some kind of invocation element.
11-01-2013, 10:37 PM #6Community Moderator
- Join Date
- May 2012
- Plane of Shadow
Very cool! I just killed a black dragon! Pretty interesting and it's nice that it rewards in game items.
I definitely would love to see some unique rewards and titles for this cool minigame...
And while you're at it, if you could add it directly into the game too I think it would be a really neat minigame. More content like this both in the gateway and in the game please!
11-02-2013, 12:17 AM #7
11-02-2013, 02:30 AM #8
Rare adventures - Adventures that appear less often with different rewards than the standard adventure of it's rank. Probably be harder or longer than your standard adventure. Could also be some that have a unique reward at the end and can only be completed once, though if you fail it will appear again.
Event Adventures - Unique adventures that appear while certain events ingame events like the Midsummer Festival are active. Rewards include stuff related to the event.
Full Clear Bonus - Bonus rewards for completing all encounters on a level and/or adventure
Achievements - Add in achievements for completing certain tasks. If the achievements could be tied into the ingame achievements, then it would be a great way to give titles like ambisinisterr suggested
Completing X number adventures of Y tier
Completing X number of adventures total
Completing all the different varieties of adventures of a tier
Doing a full clear
Completing event adventures and rare adventures
Completing an adventure with full health/Completing an adventure with 1 HP left
Completing an adventure with companions below the recommended level.
Last edited by dardove; 11-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
11-02-2013, 03:53 AM #9Community Moderator
- Join Date
- May 2013
- bael turath
11-02-2013, 04:10 AM #10
Wow, I was kind of skeptical when I read about this, but I just tried it and it was a lot of fun. I would love to see profession rewards (and catalyst rewards, too). Not laggy at all for me.
Achievements would be great, too.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:58 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.