First of all, I would like to point out that this post is written with the BEST intentions. I see good potential for this game, or complete disaster. I just want to make an attempt at preventing the later.
I have been playing MMOs, since....oh DIKU Muds. Yea, we're talking 25+ years. I am completely baffled and amazed at the lack of social grace in this game. It feels like the player base is completely foreign to MMOs. I know that is not true, but that is what it feels like. Whether it is a dungeon, skirmish, or PvP, there have been countless runs where no one says a single word. Not a HELLO, not a BYE, not even a "gg"! The main reason to play an MMO is to be social in a "virtual sense", even if some of us are anti-social in real life. It's ok, we all have our personal issues, but this is a place where everyone is anonymous. There are no judgments, no embarrassments, or biased first impressions based on what you look like, sound like, race, religion, etc....
So, the following may sound obvious, but I would not waste my time and post my very first thread on this forum about this issue if I wasn't having such an awful social experience.
1) When joining a party for whatever reason (dungeon, skirmish, PvP), loose your coolness factor and greet everyone. A simple Hello, wont diminish your reputation.
2) Be considerate during the encounter, to everyone. Remember that the majority of players are new, learning everything from scratch, a bit lost with every aspect of the game. Give them a break.
3) Don't stand on top of chests or cut in front of someone. It is really annoying when someone needs to move 3-4 times because every time they try to click on the chest someone stands in front of them. There is no better loot for those that open the chest first.
4) You are NOT a one man army. Wait for everyone. No one is going to get their name carved in stone because they are rushing ahead of everyone. I am not talking about "let the tank go in first" or "dont start without your healer". I mean just because you got your loot, or whatnot, dont just run and make everyone else behind scramble and/or panic about being left out.
5) Take it easy. Sure if you are running with a bunch of friends the same dungeon over and over, there is no need to take the scenic route. But if you are PUGging, which is probably 80% of all encounters, consider there might be people running this for the first time and just want to appreciate the content, not just SHIFT/DODGE/SPRINT there way through it from one fight to the next.
6) If there are certain objectives that need to be accomplished, please make sure to just spend 5 seconds and type it out in chat. "We need to collect 4 crystals while we are here" wont kill anyone to type it.
7) When all is done, for the love of all that is good in this world, say "Thank you" or "Laters" or "GG (good game)" or just anything to acknowledge that you enjoy being with others.
8) Most importantly have fun and "ALLOW" others to have fun as well, by being courteous and respectful. In the end, if you drive away players from this game because of your rudeness or lack of social skills, it is going to affect the game to the worst.
9) (UPDATED) When to NEED/GREED/PASS. First of all this is not a rule. it's simple courtesy. You NEED when the item is for your CLASS and are looking to upgrade. How do you know if it is an upgrade? Well you dont, thanks to the silly system of unidentified items. Just be considerate. NEEDing on something that is RED is the issue, unless everyone in the party has agreed to do so from the start. Instead GREED or PASS on them. (It's funny that on the rare occasions that someone actually said anything in party chat, it was to argue about loot)
Sorry to have wasted space on this forum with something so elementary. Enjoy the game everyone.
Results 1 to 10 of 61
05-07-2013, 01:32 PM #1
Party Etiquette (A serious Issue)
Last edited by copticone; 05-07-2013 at 03:46 PM.
05-07-2013, 01:46 PM #2
bump. very true. i'd also add please don't roll need on every single item, especially when your class doesn't need it. very annoying to get no loot just because i rolled greed on everything and then have to compete with the entire party for a rare piece of gear that only i can use because everyone is rolling need.
05-07-2013, 02:22 PM #3
Thank you for posting this.
Would read again.
05-07-2013, 02:29 PM #4
Agreed, but I think this is an argument for joining a guild and running dungeons with your guildies. Then the only issue is to find a guild you get along with.
05-07-2013, 02:46 PM #5
I am not asking to make friends every time you run a dungeon, but just simple social etiquette like HI and BYE shouldn't only be within a guild.
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM #6
I have to admit, people have been eerily quiet. I don't know if that's a f2p thing or what, but I've largely stopped chatting because no one else does and people just sprint to the next objective.
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM #7
+1 Nothing wrong with good manners, im quite a sociable person so i always try and chat to the people who im partied with, you should also add the need/greed into this for drops. So sick of working my behind off for someone to grab the drop i been needing when they cannot even wear it.
05-07-2013, 03:47 PM #8+1 Nothing wrong with good manners, im quite a sociable person so i always try and chat to the people who im partied with, you should also add the need/greed into this for drops. So sick of working my behind off for someone to grab the drop i been needing when they cannot even wear it.
05-07-2013, 03:56 PM #9
Thumbs up on this one. Joined the queue with a RL buddy of mine, and ran through cloak tower super quick. He and I greeted everyone(and received dead air), and nobody else said anything else the whole run. Things were not as much fun.
05-07-2013, 04:06 PM #10
I'm not sure If someone wants to talk I my self will freely give my thoughts or quarky remarks but if in pug groups most people just want to do the run and as long as they are doing what they need to no problems its a lot harder to type and fight then it is to be on vent/rc/skype/ts with some buddy's
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.0
Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.