PDA

View Full Version : Ask Cryptic/PWE about Neverwinter

Pages : [1] 2

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi gang!

I'm back in the office after taking a day of travel, and a day to rest! I'll be spending some time on the forums the next couple of days to answer as many questions as I can, so let's get started:

[truthseeker's comment: this thread has been renamed "Ask Cryptic/PWE About Neverwinter," and now can have any person over there answer and not burden poor Stormshade/the Community Manager or only the Devs! Just keep it on Neverwinter Topic please. This is the ony reason I have changed the wording in the OP here and added this note.]

To make things easier, more civil and more effective (without answering to double questions) I propose this thread. Here, i hope, Cryptic/PWE will find our questions and give answers.

Thread rules are:

- Keep the number of post to minimum. Let's keep it clean and not spammed, so think carefully about questions and post them all in 1 post if you can,

- no commenting, only questions

Later we can make a summary of answers ;)

My questions are:

1. The levels are said to range from 0 to 60, does it mean we will have 0 level characters and paragon paths?

2. Long ago Ranger and Cleric were also announced in an interview. Now we hear that only Rogue, Fighter and Wizard were announced. How is it then?

3. Will items also have powers like in 4 ed? Will there be a special power slot for it?

4. How many builds a class will have at the beginning? (Trickster rogue, control wizard, etc.)

5. Do you plan subraces system that was introduced in Neverwinter Campaign Setting?
Edit: Here you can find details: http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=4787

6. Will we be able to choose alignment and deities?

7. What is the maximum size of maps created by Foundry?

8. When will the beta start?

9. Can you give us at least a partial list of powers of classes?

10. Can you give some wizard gameplay video? All videos are about Trickster Rogues, with one exception of a fighter.

11. And lastly: Can you give our thanks to the Cryptic team, say hi from us and wish them luck?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 02:06 PM
My questions.

1. Will there be skill challenges?

2. What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.

3. What else will there be to do besides hack n slash and crafting?

4. Will we have dialogue choices?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
To make things easier, more civil and more effective (without answering to double questions) I propose this thread. Here, i hope, Stormshade will find our questions and give answers.

Thread rules are:

- Keep the number of post to minimum. Let's keep it clean and not spammed, so think carefully about questions and post them all in 1 post if you can,

- no commenting, only questions

Later we can make a summary of answers.

My questions are:

1. The levels are said to range from 0 to 60, does it mean we will have 0 level characters and paragon paths?

You'll start at level 1, I'm not sure where 0 comes from. The 60 levels will represent the "Heroic and Paragon Tiers" to use 4th Ed. terminology.

2. Long ago Ranger and Cleric were also announced in an interview. Now we hear that only Rogue, Fighter and Wizard were announced. How is it then?

We're were only showing the Rogue, Fighter, and Wizard. More are coming, and Cleric's will definitely be in. We're not saying anything about the ranger at the moment though. Sorry!

3. Will items also have powers like in 4 ed? Will there be a special power slot for it?

I can't answer this right now. You'll have to wait and see!

4. How many builds a class will have at the beginning? (Trickster rogue, control wizard, etc.)

More details to come here as well, however, if you listen closely to the MMORPG Interview, you can get some hints... ;)

5. Do you plan subraces system that was introduced in Neverwinter Campaign Setting?

I'm not familiar with that system, can you explain it to me a little?

6. Will we be able to choose alignment and deities?

I'm not sure if we'll have flags for this, or will just leave it up to the RPers to handle it.

7. What is the maximum size of maps created by Foundry?

Is "Big" a good enough answer? :p

8. When will the beta start?

Later this year.

9. Can you give us at least a partial list of powers of classes?

Take a look at some of the videos and reviews, they mention some of them.

10. Can you give some wizard gameplay video? All videos are about Trickster Rogues, with one exception of a fighter.

11. And lastly: Can you give our thanks to the Cryptic team, say hi from us and wish them luck?

No, I don't want it going to their head. :p (Of course I will!)

My questions.

1. Will there be skill challenges?

I also can't talk about this yet.

2. What about puzzles? - maybe a door is guarded by a magic mouth and you have to know the answer to a riddle to get past it. etc.

Entirely possible, but I'm not giving out any details. Let me just say this, there are some really awesome DMs on the content team. :D

3. What else will there be to do besides hack n slash and crafting?

More info is coming!

4. Will we have dialogue choices?

I can't comment here yet either.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 02:46 PM
My questions:) I know I'll be very tempted to add more later, but perhaps I'll just edit this post later when that happens.

1. How strong is the soft targeting in ranged and in melee?

2. How common are the spots where powers can be exchanged?

3. The numbers 1 utility, 2 at wills, 2 encounters and 1 daily are lowish. Will they be constant or will they be lower at start and perhaps increase beyond that?

4. Could you perhaps throw us a bone about the combat mechanics here?:p

5. What (besides gear, level and player skill) are the aspects of the character progression that the player can influence?

And that's it for now. Great job answering above already! Edit. On closer inspection.. you seem to have taken evasion feat and have high reflex saves:p Great job answering fast anyway:)

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 02:52 PM
Neverwinter Racial Variants (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110715)

Q: Are you planning on more (even if small) releases of information out of big dates like that of PaxEast and before the next E3?

Q: Can the Foundry, at this point in time, link different quests together carrying some specific information from one to the next? (quest 1: optional kid is saved/killed --> quest 2: optional kid may be present or not based on quest 1)

Q: Can you explain a bit how armour works in the current stage of the game?

Q: Have henchmen dissapeared from the game or maybe I can hope/dream for something similar to SWTOR's companions but in mercenary style?

Q: How has affected the change to MMORPG to the campaign that you were developing?

Q: Is there (toggeable for Foundry quests) day/night cycle?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 03:04 PM
My only real question...

How much variety will we have in making characters appearances? (Everything from facial features and skin tones, beard/hair styles and colors, eye colors, clothing/armor appearances and colors, weapon styles/colors, shield styles, designs and colors, glove styles and colors, shoe/boot styles and colors, cloak/pack styles and colors, helm/hat colors and styles, etc, to being able to have a hook for a hand or a peg for a leg.)

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 03:07 PM
My only question: Could you release slightly information once in a while (once per 2weeks?) just to keep forums alive?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 03:13 PM
... More are coming, and Cleric's will definitely be in. ...

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
:)

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 03:45 PM
What is the mechanic for regaining hit points and spell points/mana after combat?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 03:57 PM
My questions:

1. Are you implementing PvP in a forms of Arena and BG's or will it be world PvP ? Please elaborate.

2. Will there be a housing system ?

3. Will you be able to place your attributes and choose your feats and skills in total liberty just like the real D&D ?

4. Will the maps created by players that are really good be implemented in the game for everyone to have access to them ?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
:)

It's a great day today, heh? ;)

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I understand that some of my questions wont have an answer but ill do it anyways :P

1: How often we wil get feats and wondering if we will have the same variety (at least the same of core books), also if the feats will have requirements to take it (like other feats, skills, base attackl, etc...)

2: Seems tiers will happen every 20 lvls, so i was wondering if a specific paragon path will have some feat, skills, requirements to take it (hope is not just a talent tree and pick one)

3: There will be pasive and active skills ?? for example, having athletics will make u jump more.

4: will guilds have more roles than just gather a group of people to make quests and raids together ?? was wondering if guilds could have a higher role by doing some archivments that would "change" future adventure/story lines/etc....

5: Does items propreties/powers will be similar to pnp 4th ?

6: this can be a stupid question :P But the caracter creation will be the same as pnp right ?? Ability score, AC/ref/will/con defence, speed, type of vision, skills, feats, etc....

7: should we expect tactical/strategic fights like we have in some MMO's raids , or just tank the boss and dps him to dead :P

Thx in advance.

Macabrius

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Okay here are some of my questions:

Will combat have character colission?
Are henchmen and followers still in after the conversation from co-op to mmo?
Will players be able to "create" family ties with other players?
Will guilds be able to form alliances? Or even sub-guilds?
Will characters be able to jump around?
If somone offers you to wash your car, will you reward him/her with a betakey?
Will there be shards with different rulesets, like in PvE, RP-PvE, etc?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do this!

Q: Are there plans for voice acted cutscenes, just typical mmo quest text popup, or something in between?

Q: Will it be possible for a player to take on the role of a DM for foundry-created content, like in NWN?

Q: Is there any content planned to tie in with the recently announced 'Rise of the Underdark' cross-media campaign-event-thingie?

Q: I know it's a long shot, but any content planned outside of the Prime Material?

Q: Miniature giant space hamster social pet. Yes or HELL YES?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 06:24 PM
I also am grateful for your answering questions. Thank you.

Let me try to post some of mine. I fully respect a "No," "I cannot answer that right now" or "I don't know (yet,") answer of course with the "Yes" and "Maybe" ones. Here we go:

Are there any "misses" in the combat, or do PC's and all enemies hit?

How does Armor and AC/Fort/Ref/Will work? Can you take no damage (and see above question as for hit or miss) or does every hit damage you?

(Thank you for explaining the massive HP gain as tweaked for the demo for many players to play and progress; edited part of this section out as was answered by Stormshade on another thread.)

Can you customize your character's class generation, or do you simply select from the class' several builds? Are Builds mandatory? Do we have skills we train?

Do feats work the way of the typical MMO's talent tree, work like the PnP feats, or something else?

Will there be (either selectable or assigned) character themes as in the 4E PnP themes, especially the Neverwinter themes?

It seems we have 60 levels for the regular and paragon tiers from 1-60 Are there any special "capstones" for hitting certain level numbers? Will there be Paragon Paths either we can select from or will be assigned to our class/build?

Blame the "level 0" question on this interview's received answer (http://www.examiner.com/rpg-in-national/pax-east-2012-interview-with-neverwinter-s-design-team) on
Speaking of solo-friendly, how do you deal with differences in levels between players? What’s the level system? Can you explain what was meant by
AV: The level range for Neverwinter is 0 to 60. It translates to heroic and paragon tiers, so you can divide the levels by 3 to heroic and paragon paths.

Are all classes that are immediately available on release (and planned to be in a future build: )
released playable (or will be playable) for free immediately
some be available for free after an "unlock" of some kind
some classes must be paid for or are "premium?"

Will there be Rituals? If yes (and you can talk about them,) how will the gameplay implement them?

Again, will Foundry-made games be inter-connectable so multiple modules can be played together as one world?

Can we have a group or team set up for a foundry creation or does it have to be only through one person (and one single person's account) when we have that social display in the game world that users see?

[edit] Will there be end game content? This is true for both when we hit level 60 and/or if an Epic tier will be introduced and we cap that.

Again, thanks team for taking our player questions!

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 06:40 PM
I guess here is my question:

Since you have had the Pax Demo, could you post a short video of gameplay form each of the classes that were previewed at Pax? Maybe a glimpse of the character creation?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
The OP has a great idea here, by creating a thread to simply ask questions. Let me reword a previous post into questions that fit the MO of this thread.

1. What will be done to avoid the Leeeeroooooy!!! factor? Will there be combat techniques to enhance simply hack n slash? Will there be useful, powerful crowd control spells that will make questing a lot more fun for many?

2. Will you REMOVE the silly Batman/Mortal Combat sparkly combat animations? Some of those sunbursts hit half the screen in length. Spending 4-6 hours of watching flashing lights every swing is going to get old fast. Just cutting back on the color intensity and size of the effect would go a long way to improve this issue. I've spoken two two guildies that will not move from my current game, DDO, solely because of these sunburst animations. One, who is planning to be our co-guild leader (if in name only) and another guildie who has eye problems that would force him not to play because of the sparklies. All this from only ONE character on the screen, could you imagine a full group/ Or worse a raid? I hope this gets addressed now, before its too late.

3. Will you create a crafting system that does not break the game economy/auction house? Crafting built into the character, selectable at character creation would be my personal preference, like it was done in 3.5e. DDO failed here, Im hoping you folks will succeed at doing it right.

4. Will guild leaders get robust guild leader tools? Strong guilds make a strong game. Guild leaders should have an alts database so we know who's alts are who's! There should be an easy way for the guild leader to know if someone left the guild... as well as how long its been since they've "been away".

5. Will we get a real multi-level dungeon mapping system that can be resized and/or turned off? DDOs mapping was a joke, and still cant handle multiple level dungeons. Naturally locations should remain blacked out if you havent visited. You should also be able to attach notes (think sticky notes or google earth) to any locations, and even save maps.

6. Will bards be master of crowd control, sonic and illusions? Spells that distract and fool the enemy... Mirror image, disguise self, dancing lights, ventriloquism etc. This ties into my wish for more strategy and creative solutions in quest solving.

7. Will there be Alignment consequences? Having choices that open and close future doors? Having some items/quests/paths that can only be gained by certain alignments (beyond needing a 20 UMD to wield Pure Good etc)? For example: Making a choice at a point in your character development that will define your future like taking an item that will make an enemy later or making a sacrifice that will gain an ally in the future.

8. Will we have varied quest types? A lot of the fun of P&P was having political quests, outdoor sprawling quests, military battles etc. Quests feel too contained and boxed. I realize that this is a factor of the video game format but some things could be done. Like for example, a military quest where you command troops and give simple orders before the quest starts (where they are deployed, what stance they take (defensive/aggressive etc)?

9. Will stealth mean something? What about rangers and rogues? Tracking and outdoor skills aren't used in DDO effectively or at all. That was the ranger's primary strength in P&P.

10. What are your plans for community involvement? Why stop at the foundry? How about player designed server events?<--- contests/awards for the best designed event that goes to development/storytelling etc.

11. We know we are getting a few races. How about the Gnome race? Gnomes are naturally friendly, highly social and fun loving people. They are respected by Elves for their communion with nature and knowledge of arcane magic, admired by Halflings for their humor, and sought out by Dwarves for their gemcutting skills. (masters of illusions) make great bards!

12. Don't let exploiters ruin this game. Will you stand by your EULA and Code of Conduct? DDO failed time and time again... letting exploiters run hog wild... when they did catch the big offenders, they'd give em lifetime bans, then let them right back after some telephone begging. Please make the rules clear, and stand firm. If they break the rules, do you have a plan to get rid of them after a certain level of abuse has accured?

Thank you Storm for addressing everyones' questions, and/or as many as you could get to. The questions are beginning to really pile up, but at least the community is starting to really grow now!

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
Will reaching max level be mandatory to enjoy end-game content? That is to say, will it be like in other mmos where you literally can't enter an end-game dungeon unless you were max level? Or will it be like other mmos where you can take a break from level grinding and still be able to do some serious adventuring/raiding without being max level?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 07:57 PM
1: Will there be voiced DM flavor text like in DDO?
2: Will Rangers have true Animal companions
3: If we get a cloak of Elvin Kind will we actually be able to see it on our avatars (IE Visible cloaks)

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 08:28 PM
1) Watching the gameplay videos (like the dev one) you can pretty clearly see a tab that says "Pets" on it in the character equipment page. What can you tell us about this?

2) Keeping with the animal theme (because I love them), as asked just above me will we be seeing true animal companions for rangers and such?

Archived Post
04-11-2012, 11:57 PM
My only worry.

Will Neverwinter support the use of gamepads such as PC pads or 360 controllers?

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Pretty sure it will Rune ;) Game does use their engine which I believe is now standard game pad support.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
1. Will there be horses and can we ride them into battle ?

2. Will a shield be able to block attacks?

3. Will there be housing of any sort? if so what?

4. Will there be resource gathering in game? If so what?

5. Ranger may be out what about the Paladin, Druid, Bard and Barbarian?

6. Will one be able to disable traps, search for secret doors, pick locks?

7. Will i be able to make a multi level dungeon with steps and all?

8. Will Ancient dragons truely have a horde of treasure?

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Just a little question here but will the Foundry be available in an in-game editor or will it be in a separate programme? Looks really innovative.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Just a little question here but will the Foundry be available in an in-game editor or will it be in a separate programme? Looks really innovative.

Most likely an in game editor. You won't be able to import assets and such from other locations. If it goes like STO does, you access the Foundry from the character select screen.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 03:41 AM

Silver is right, they have already announced that it will be in-game, from the game menu and without having to install any extra exe or something.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Only one from me:

Will there be raid type content requiring large groups of players to complete (any details on plans for this would be nice)?

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Pretty sure it will Rune ;) Game does use their engine which I believe is now standard game pad support.

I didn't see any such thing in STO. I suppose it may have been added later on. :p

So, again, I ask.

Will Neverwinter have gamepad or 360 controller support, as Champions ONline does?

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Hehe, its there. I actually went to check it and the option for game controller is in options.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 11:42 AM
If we are experienced with the NWN toolset, how steep will the learning curve be with the Neverwinter toolset.

How robust is it going to be? i.e. How many Monsters, how many tile sets.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 01:04 PM
If we are experienced with the NWN toolset, how steep will the learning curve be with the Neverwinter toolset.

My advice is to check out the STO foundry very similar.

Archived Post
04-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Only one from me:

Will there be raid type content requiring large groups of players to complete (any details on plans for this would be nice)?

I dont think so, according to the video there will be quests at the final of each zone/area called dungeon dales which are 5 man dungeon but i think its raid-like but with 5 players lol which i dont know what it means :P

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 01:35 AM
I dont think so, according to the video there will be quests at the final of each zone/area called dungeon dales which are 5 man dungeon but i think its raid-like but with 5 players lol which i dont know what it means :P

A Dungeon Delve usually is a more challenging dungeon with the great risk great reward setup. There also is an official released product by said name from Wizards. While not a typical MMO Raid, it is the elite of "dungeon crawling."

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 05:50 PM
OK i got one more question,

1. When are you going to start answering questions ? haha :cool:

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey folks!

Sorry I haven't managed to get back until now, Champions just launched a major update which stole my attention. I'm going to start going through these now, here's the first batch:

My questions:) I know I'll be very tempted to add more later, but perhaps I'll just edit this post later when that happens.

1. How strong is the soft targeting in ranged and in melee?
I don't really understand the question, so, I would ask you to clarify if my this doesn't do the trick:

Targeting in Neverwinter is different than in most other MMOs. TAB Targetting doesn't exist, you'll use a targeting reticule to mouse over an enemy, and activate the attack/power/ability you wish to use. It works really well, and makes combat very fluid. Rogues can jump from enemy to enemy, Control Wizards (what you saw at PAX East) can easily switch targets, lifting one enemy up to take it out of the fight with Bigsby's grasping hand, flinging an ice spear at another, and then channeling ray of frost to slow down, and eventually lock another in it's place. It works very well, and is incredibly fluid.

2. How common are the spots where powers can be exchanged?

This could be changing from here to launch, but right now, it's as easy as bringing up your powers window and dragging a new power into your action bar.

3. The numbers 1 utility, 2 at wills, 2 encounters and 1 daily are lowish. Will they be constant or will they be lower at start and perhaps increase beyond that?

I can't say right now. I know it "seems" low, especially when you're used to more traditional MMO controls. But it feels great when you're playing. In fact, I think if there were many more, it may start to become cumbersome.

4. Could you perhaps throw us a bone about the combat mechanics here?:p

What kind of a bone, precisely, would you like? Does the description above work? It's very fast, very involved, and a ton of fun.

5. What (besides gear, level and player skill) are the aspects of the character progression that the player can influence?

We'll talk more about player progression as we get closer to release.

And that's it for now. Great job answering above already! Edit. On closer inspection.. you seem to have taken evasion feat and have high reflex saves:p Great job answering fast anyway:)

Thanks!

Neverwinter Racial Variants (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110715)

Got it. I don't have a solid answer for that right now. However, I'm pretty sure we'll be talking more about character customization and creations as we get closer to release.

Q: Are you planning on more (even if small) releases of information out of big dates like that of PaxEast and before the next E3?

I'm going to see what I can do. Expect Major release to come around those trade shows (and others!) though.

Q: Can the Foundry, at this point in time, link different quests together carrying some specific information from one to the next? (quest 1: optional kid is saved/killed --> quest 2: optional kid may be present or not based on quest 1)

I can't answer that right now, but we'll get more into The Foundry later.

Q: Can you explain a bit how armour works in the current stage of the game?

This is another question I can't really answer at this time. We will answer it though, just not yet.

Q: Have henchmen dissapeared from the game or maybe I can hope/dream for something similar to SWTOR's companions but in mercenary style?

This is another one I can't answer, right now.

Q: How has affected the change to MMORPG to the campaign that you were developing?

From what I understand, the primary campaign we were originally developing is still there. However, there is also now a large amount of other, equally awesome stuff to do as well.

Q: Is there (toggeable for Foundry quests) day/night cycle?

We'll get more into The Foundry later, I really do promise!

My only real question...

How much variety will we have in making characters appearances?

::snip::

I think if Cryptic were to ever release a game without a strong and robust character creator, we'd be lynched. It's something that we really love doing, and that our fans really enjoy having access to, so you shouldn't be disappointed.

My only question: Could you release slightly information once in a while (once per 2weeks?) just to keep forums alive?

I'm going to do my best. I know the past few months have been hard on the community, but, we are back in full swing now, so the information drought should be almost non-existent from here out.

What is the mechanic for regaining hit points and spell points/mana after combat?

Take a look at one of the many gameplay videos from PAX East. There's no mana to worry about, and we'll have a variety of ways to regain lost health.

My questions:

1. Are you implementing PvP in a forms of Arena and BG's or will it be world PvP ? Please elaborate.

We're not talking about PvP at this time, outside of what was already said by Zinc in the MMORPG Interview.

2. Will there be a housing system ?

I don't believe I can answer this right now.

3. Will you be able to place your attributes and choose your feats and skills in total liberty just like the real D&D ?

Once again, character progression will be discussed later on, as we grow nearer to release.

4. Will the maps created by players that are really good be implemented in the game for everyone to have access to them ?

All player created content from The Foundry will be available in game for the community to have access to.

Here, I'm going to start deleting questions that already have an answer above...

I understand that some of my questions wont have an answer but ill do it anyways :P

7: should we expect tactical/strategic fights like we have in some MMO's raids , or just tank the boss and dps him to dead :P

Tactics should definitely come into play.

Thx in advance.

Macabrius

Okay here are some of my questions:

If somone offers you to wash your car, will you reward him/her with a betakey?

Probably not, since I can get my car washed whenever I want. However, there will be other, more exciting ways, to earn beta keys in the future.

Will there be shards with different rulesets, like in PvE, RP-PvE, etc?

No, we have some pretty solid tech that allows us to have a "one server" solution. So you don't have to worry about whether your friends are on the X or Y server before starting out. You can just jump right in game! The downside, is this means no enforced rule sets.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!

No problem! It's what I do yo!

Q: Are there plans for voice acted cutscenes, just typical mmo quest text popup, or something in between?

I can't comment on this right now.

Q: Will it be possible for a player to take on the role of a DM for foundry-created content, like in NWN?

Yes, and no. Yes, you will be able to create adventures for your friends to play through. No, you will not be able to jump in and modify those scenarios on the fly, or take over certain NPCs. Remember more info on The Foundry will be forthcoming.

Q: Is there any content planned to tie in with the recently announced 'Rise of the Underdark' cross-media campaign-event-thingie?

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to answer that question under any circumstances.

Q: I know it's a long shot, but any content planned outside of the Prime Material?

The future can hold almost anything!

Q: Miniature giant space hamster social pet. Yes or HELL YES?

I'm not 100%, but Bioware may hold the rights to Boo. I'll suggest looking into this though.

Alright folks,

That's all I have time for right now. More to come!

Thanks,

Stormshade

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Hey folks!

Sorry I haven't managed to get back until now, Champions just launched a major update which stole my attention. [snip]

Alright folks,

Thanks,

Stormshade

Thank you Stormshade!

*disappointedly picks up his car-washing gear and leaves*

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm not 100%, but Bioware may hold the rights to Boo. I'll suggest looking into this though.
Well, Giant space hamster are part of D&D (spelljammer) lore.
I doubt that a miniature version of a proper D&D game element would be a breach of Bioware's Rights, it would just be like a pet mini-dragon or a pet mini-owlbear.

By the way, what about an owlbear pet? :D

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 10:14 PM
What I am really curious if Cryptic has plans to reward notable Foundry creators. The amount of time and effort in creating a well designed and rich module takes a lot of dedication and passion. Some modules of NWN2 takes months and months of effort. It would be nice to see those who put in that kind of effort into the community being rewarded either say quarterly/semi-annual/annual contests with computer hardware or something that goes beyond a pat on the back.

Know that you, SS, cannot answer that question in any detail but perhaps you can comment on whether or not Cryptic intends to reward gifted Foundry users in some form or fashion besides a Hall of Fame title.

Archived Post
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, Giant space hamster are part of D&D (spelljammer) lore.
I doubt that a miniature version of a proper D&D game element would be a breach of Bioware's Rights, it whould just be like a pet mini-dragon or a pet mini-owlbear.

By the way, what about an owlbear pet? :D

Again, the Fey Beast Tamer theme which has a pet owlbear as one of the companion choices. This is why I love D&D 4E themes!

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Alright folks,

Thanks,

Stormshade

Thanks a lot stormshade!:)

I aske about the targeting, because at times it seemed the rogue hit the target even if the reticule was a bit off. This is understandable and I'm sure further videos will shed some light on how accurate (what's the acceptable angle of error) must be and whether it needs to be on target for the duration of the attack.

The combat mechanics bone I had in mind would have been on to-hit, ac, dmg, incoming dmg reduction, spell power, incoming spell power reduction.. anything you'd wish and could share with us would do. I.e. how have you translated d&d combat rolls into mmo environment.

It's great that you've taken your time answering here and I hope you'll find the chance to do so sometime again:)

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 04:40 AM
Thank you for the answers, Stormshade. :)

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Regarding the question
"Q: Will it be possible for a player to take on the role of a DM for foundry-created content, like in NWN?"
Your answer was that we can build adventures but not actually control them as DM. Is this never going to happen? Or is it just something that won't be present at launch? That was an aspect that interested my friends and I as it would make playing a D&D game on a new level.

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello!

Q: Any information about flying you want to share? (Flying ability, carpet, mounts etc.?)

EDIT:
{Also, : Is it possible to assign macro so that whenever I cast a spell, an incantation is automatically spoken by my PC(e.g. in local chat by macro-ing a key, So whenever I press Q for Cure Light Wounds, my chracter types, "I call upon XXY deity to help my allies!" in locl chat)
}
Thanks a lot
It a great game, please don't get complacent in polishing it to perfection :)

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks a lot StormShade!

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Hey,

Just wondering if we're going to be getting the feats as listed in the 4e handbook or if you're going to edit/create your own.

Also will there be regional benefits? Say if we select that our characters from Cormyr they start out with +2 insight and +2 saves against fear?

And this is going to be regarded as one of those you can't answer questions but can you pleaaaaase let genasi be a playable race :D

Actually on the topic of a race like genasi, how would you handle their liquid move for watersoul and flying ability for windsoul?

and lastly is the game just going to feature neverwinter and associated dungeons or will it stretch out to luskan, silverymoon or farther?

Edit: For the foundry, are we going to be able to script scenes? and are we going to be able to make multi level quests? How detailed will the scripting can? Can we impose skill checks during conversations?

Archived Post
04-14-2012, 05:02 PM
Q : Will there be some cosmetics even for those who dont want to use real life money o have i understanded something completly wrong that we'll be able to buy cosmetics and some bonuses using real life money?

Archived Post
04-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Q: Do sources (arcane, divine, martial, shadow, psionic, primal) have any impact on the game mechanics?

Archived Post
04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
1) Will there be flying monsters in the game and is the game a true 3d environment to allow combat from above?

2) will i be able to climb and if so can i fall off a cliff or throw a monster over one?

3) How interactive is the environment? Other than smashing crates and stuff will i be able to let's say use my skills to bend bars and lift gates and other stuff of that nature that use special animations like digging?

4) Will each weapon have it's own combat animations or will everyone have the same set no matter what they are fighting with?

5) What kind of customization will i have over making monsters in the foundry? Will all orcs for example look the same no matter what or can i make each one look different? Can i make my boss monsters look bigger?

6) Can i make a real looking castle and is there going to be castle ruins or ruins of any kind in the game? This is huge for me as nwn1 and 2 didn't have this option! How can you have a D&D game without castles and drawbridges and ruins?

7) How many enemies can i fight on screen at a time? Is it possible to make battles with npc's fighting each other to simulate an epic battle?

Archived Post
04-15-2012, 06:34 PM
1. When any class get max lvl how many skills will have ?
1-5, 5-10,10-15, more than 15

2. Items will have random stats (like in Diablo) or same ?

3. Do the stuf you do in fundry merge to main server characters ?
I remember myself creating in nvn1 map full of dragons with max stats but movement was close to 0 and 1 hp so i could power lvl my sorcerer with chain lightning faster.

4. Is the campaign plot a simple fantasy story or something more deep ?

5. When sin use basic attack can the slash colour be changed to black so it's not that flashy.

6. Did any dev post made change to stuf you guys made from beginig ?
(if yes please give example :D)

Archived Post
04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
3. Do the stuff you do in foundry merge to main server characters ?
I remember myself creating in nvn1 map full of dragons with max stats but movement was close to 0 and 1 hp so i could power lvl my sorcerer with chain lightning faster.

Can't find where, but I'm pretty sure monsters are going to be drag and drop, you won't be able to edit stats for this very reason. The same as you won't be able to create custom items, the treasures will pull from random loot tables.

Archived Post
04-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks Stormshade. Its really refreshing to get so many questions answered!!!

Archived Post
04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
1.Will players run for loot or will it be shared equally in a party? I personally like running. It gets the thief in trouble.

2.Will Player Characters have voice emotes to use? It always fun to have your character have a personality.

3.How will death of your character work? Loss of xp, zoned, perma death etc. Perma death would be awesome.

4.Mounts?

5.Will there be any ability to climb walls or jump higher via feats or skills?

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Will the weapon and equipment power variations be on a more random generation like DDO or more like STO's loot set up where you basically have the same people using the same items?

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey storm, first of all thx for answering our questions :)

Heres a new few questions i will like to make:

1. Not sure if any info was already release about this but will neverwinter have skill, skill challenge, etc... ??

2. Does items will have random properties on "trash mobs", will the dungeons bosses have a loot table. Would like to hear more about items :)

3. In the interview with devs i heard about daily events, will they be a important part of the story line, does the end of those events will make any diference in the game ?

Thats all for now :P

Thanks, Macabrius

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
I also am grateful for your answering questions. Thank you.

Let me try to post some of mine. I fully respect a "No," "I cannot answer that right now" or "I don't know (yet,") answer of course with the "Yes" and "Maybe" ones. Here we go:

Are there any "misses" in the combat, or do PC's and all enemies hit?

I cannot answer that right now.

How does Armor and AC/Fort/Ref/Will work? Can you take no damage (and see above question as for hit or miss) or does every hit damage you?

We'll be talking more about the nitty gritty of combat mechanics later.

Can you customize your character's class generation, or do you simply select from the class' several builds? Are Builds mandatory? Do we have skills we train?

More on character progression will come later.

Are all classes that are immediately available on release (and planned to be in a future build: )
released playable (or will be playable) for free immediately
some be available for free after an "unlock" of some kind
some classes must be paid for or are "premium?"

We're still working out the details of our MT/Cash Shop Strategy. So, I can't answer this right now. What I can say, is to take a look at the idea of Questionite and Dilithium in CO and STO.

Will there be Rituals? If yes (and you can talk about them,) how will the gameplay implement them?

I can't answer this right now.

Can we have a group or team set up for a foundry creation or does it have to be only through one person (and one single person's account) when we have that social display in the game world that users see?

That's an interesting idea, I'll pass it along and see what we can do. However, please remember that not only will this likely be difficult to implement, it would also likely open up the possibility for all kinds of trolling/griefing.

Since you have had the Pax Demo, could you post a short video of gameplay form each of the classes that were previewed at Pax? Maybe a glimpse of the character creation?

I'll see what I can make happen.

1. What will be done to avoid the Leeeeroooooy!!! factor? Will there be combat techniques to enhance simply hack n slash? Will there be useful, powerful crowd control spells that will make questing a lot more fun for many?

Yes, and yes.

2. Will you REMOVE the silly Batman/Mortal Combat sparkly combat animations? Some of those sunbursts hit half the screen in length. Spending 4-6 hours of watching flashing lights every swing is going to get old fast. Just cutting back on the color intensity and size of the effect would go a long way to improve this issue. I've spoken two two guildies that will not move from my current game, DDO, solely because of these sunburst animations. One, who is planning to be our co-guild leader (if in name only) and another guildie who has eye problems that would force him not to play because of the sparklies. All this from only ONE character on the screen, could you imagine a full group/ Or worse a raid? I hope this gets addressed now, before its too late.

Remember, there's still alot of time before the game is released, so what you've seen in the PAX East Demo is likely not will be in game at release. Also, remember that there will be options to tone down some of those FX.

3. Will you create a crafting system that does not break the game economy/auction house? Crafting built into the character, selectable at character creation would be my personal preference, like it was done in 3.5e. DDO failed here, Im hoping you folks will succeed at doing it right.

We'll be talking more about crafting later on.

4. Will guild leaders get robust guild leader tools? Strong guilds make a strong game. Guild leaders should have an alts database so we know who's alts are who's! There should be an easy way for the guild leader to know if someone left the guild... as well as how long its been since they've "been away".

Guilds will also be covered later on.

5. Will we get a real multi-level dungeon mapping system that can be resized and/or turned off? DDOs mapping was a joke, and still cant handle multiple level dungeons. Naturally locations should remain blacked out if you havent visited. You should also be able to attach notes (think sticky notes or google earth) to any locations, and even save maps.

I don't know if we'll be as robust as Google Earth, but our maps are pretty good in CO and STO, so I think we should be pretty solid on that front. This being said, we do love getting feedback from our community, and we can look at ways to improve mapping later on down the line if what we ship with doesn't do it for you all.

6. Will bards be master of crowd control, sonic and illusions? Spells that distract and fool the enemy... Mirror image, disguise self, dancing lights, ventriloquism etc. This ties into my wish for more strategy and creative solutions in quest solving.

I can't say anything about Bards right now.

7. Will there be Alignment consequences? Having choices that open and close future doors? Having some items/quests/paths that can only be gained by certain alignments (beyond needing a 20 UMD to wield Pure Good etc)? For example: Making a choice at a point in your character development that will define your future like taking an item that will make an enemy later or making a sacrifice that will gain an ally in the future.

I can't answer this right now either.

8. Will we have varied quest types? A lot of the fun of P&P was having political quests, outdoor sprawling quests, military battles etc. Quests feel too contained and boxed. I realize that this is a factor of the video game format but some things could be done. Like for example, a military quest where you command troops and give simple orders before the quest starts (where they are deployed, what stance they take (defensive/aggressive etc)?

Things like this are definitely possible. We'll have to wait and see what the Content Designers cook up for us!

9. Will stealth mean something? What about rangers and rogues? Tracking and outdoor skills aren't used in DDO effectively or at all. That was the ranger's primary strength in P&P.

We'll be talking more about skills later on, right around the same time we talk Character progression.

10. What are your plans for community involvement? Why stop at the foundry? How about player designed server events?<--- contests/awards for the best designed event that goes to development/storytelling etc.

I love empowering communities to do as much as they can, and this is a part of what The Foundry is all about. I'm not sure about server wide events, but we'll have a good relationship.

11. We know we are getting a few races. How about the Gnome race? Gnomes are naturally friendly, highly social and fun loving people. They are respected by Elves for their communion with nature and knowledge of arcane magic, admired by Halflings for their humor, and sought out by Dwarves for their gemcutting skills. (masters of illusions) make great bards!

We'll be talking more about additional races and classes as we get closer to launch and beyond.

12. Don't let exploiters ruin this game. Will you stand by your EULA and Code of Conduct? DDO failed time and time again... letting exploiters run hog wild... when they did catch the big offenders, they'd give em lifetime bans, then let them right back after some telephone begging. Please make the rules clear, and stand firm. If they break the rules, do you have a plan to get rid of them after a certain level of abuse has accured?

Of course! We have a pretty strong reputation for standing by our rules, and enforcing them here.

1: Will there be voiced DM flavor text like in DDO?
I can't answer this right now.
2: Will Rangers have true Animal companions
Again, I can't answer anything questions about Rangers at this time.
3: If we get a cloak of Elvin Kind will we actually be able to see it on our avatars (IE Visible cloaks)
Cloaks shouldn't pose a problem. You can even see some in our trailers!

1) Watching the gameplay videos (like the dev one) you can pretty clearly see a tab that says "Pets" on it in the character equipment page. What can you tell us about this?

Absolutely nothing! But, I promise we will tell you all about it... eventually.

One more to come...

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
1. Will there be horses and can we ride them into battle ?

I can't answer any questions about mounts right now. Sorry guys.

2. Will a shield be able to block attacks?

Yes, I mean, it has to be good for something right?

5. Ranger may be out what about the Paladin, Druid, Bard and Barbarian?

We'll talk more about other classes, as we move closer to release. Also, who said Rangers were out?

6. Will one be able to disable traps, search for secret doors, pick locks?

Skills will be talked about later on.

7. Will i be able to make a multi level dungeon with steps and all?

More on The Foundry will be coming soon.

8. Will Ancient dragons truely have a horde of treasure?

Let's be honest here, Dragons are not things to be trifled with. If they did, would you really want to try and steal it?

It's built right into the game, and the client you'll use for playing the game.

Only one from me:

We may add things like this later on, but right now, we're focusing on the core D&D experience. Small bands of adventurers coming together to defeat overwhelming odds.

Again, more on The Foundry is coming, but if you're used to the old NWN Toolsets, you shouldn't have a gigantic learning curve.

1. When are you going to start answering questions ? haha

Tomorrow! :eek:

Hello!

Q: Any information about flying you want to share? (Flying ability, carpet, mounts etc.?)

Nope.

EDIT:
{Also, : Is it possible to assign macro so that whenever I cast a spell, an incantation is automatically spoken by my PC(e.g. in local chat by macro-ing a key, So whenever I press Q for Cure Light Wounds, my chracter types, "I call upon XXY deity to help my allies!" in locl chat)}

This should be possible.

Thanks a lot
It a great game, please don't get complacent in polishing it to perfection :)

Hey,

Just wondering if we're going to be getting the feats as listed in the 4e handbook or if you're going to edit/create your own.

More details on feats is forthcoming.

Also will there be regional benefits? Say if we select that our characters from Cormyr they start out with +2 insight and +2 saves against fear?

More details to come.

And this is going to be regarded as one of those you can't answer questions but can you pleaaaaase let genasi be a playable race :D

I can't answer this question.

Actually on the topic of a race like genasi, how would you handle their liquid move for watersoul and flying ability for windsoul?

Good question... I'll let you know later...

and lastly is the game just going to feature neverwinter and associated dungeons or will it stretch out to luskan, silverymoon or farther?

To start, Neverwinter, and the surrounding areas.

Q : Will there be some cosmetics even for those who dont want to use real life money o have i understanded something completly wrong that we'll be able to buy cosmetics and some bonuses using real life money?

There will definitely be ways to earn cosmetic things in-game, as well as through the MT store.

Q: Do sources (arcane, divine, martial, shadow, psionic, primal) have any impact on the game mechanics?

Sorry Qumi, I can't answer questions that detailed right now.

1) Will there be flying monsters in the game and is the game a true 3d environment to allow combat from above?

I can't answer this right now, sorry.

2) will i be able to climb and if so can i fall off a cliff or throw a monster over one?

I can't answer this right now either.

3) How interactive is the environment? Other than smashing crates and stuff will i be able to let's say use my skills to bend bars and lift gates and other stuff of that nature that use special animations like digging?

More details will be coming on this.

4) Will each weapon have it's own combat animations or will everyone have the same set no matter what they are fighting with?

Well, you swing a sword like a sword, and daggers like daggers... Regardless of whether they're a +1 flaming weapon, or just a normal weapon. Please remember that adding in a different set of animations for most every weapon n the game would be very time consuming and expensive. The animation time alone might add on another few years to development time. That said, I'm sure there will be some variations between different weapon types.

6) Can i make a real looking castle and is there going to be castle ruins or ruins of any kind in the game? This is huge for me as nwn1 and 2 didn't have this option! How can you have a D&D game without castles and drawbridges and ruins?

I think you should watch our Story Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnCF5yNVxhI) That's all captured in-game.

3. In the interview with devs i heard about daily events, will they be a important part of the story line, does the end of those events will make any diference in the game?

We'll be talking more about events as we get closer to launch.

Alright guys, I think that's all the questions I can answer, answered. Please remember that if your specific question didn't get answered, it's not that I don't <3 you, it most likely means that either A) I don't have a solid answer at this time, or B) someone else already got your question answered earlier in the thread.

Thanks!

Stormshade

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 04:59 PM
We may add things like this later on, but right now, we're focusing on the core D&D experience. Small bands of adventurers coming together to defeat overwhelming odds.

You are officially my hero!

My entire month has been made by that one statement. :D :D :D

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 05:42 PM
You are officially my hero!

My entire month has been made by that one statement. :D :D :D

I do what I can yo. :D

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 07:57 PM

I'll see what I can make happen.

Awesome! :D

Since I am on a roll ... here are a couple more questions. :)

1. In the character customization for the male tiefling - can we make one without the facial spikes? There are a few source pictures that have a normal face with horns but most have the face spikes. I would really like a normal face with horns myself.

2. Do you have any information on the grouping mechanics yet? Is there a LFG/LFM menu? (kind of like DDO has) or is there some form of dungeon queuing?

3. Are other NW books besides the Drizzt ones being used for information? Brimstone angels and Cold Steel and Secrets were both written in and around Neverwinter.

4. As I know you guys have had some awesome events in champions, will release have a "Rise of the Underdark" tie in event?

5. Champions has climbing, so will our rogues be able to climb? If so can I climb a tree and drop down from above on unsuspecting kobalds?

6. There are many Earthmotes around Neverwinter (even the brothel The Moonstone Mask), will we be able to visit them?

7. What are the odds of us getting to visit Gauntlgrym?

8. Will we have a pre-release guild registration? So that on day 1 the guild can be in place with players already in? (I am trying to recruit my friends from DDO)

9. Can we have a "Clue" based adventure? I heard that EQ has one where you have to figure out the murder and it changes every time. That would be awesome to have quests like that in the game. Quests that are semi random, invite replay and are based on using your mind and skills vs just fighting.

10. Will my Deva Swordmage be able to customize his tattoos?

Archived Post
04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Man, I really wish it was late enough in the process we could get an answer other than "I can't talk about that quite yet," but I completely understand why those cards are held close to the vest. Doesn't mean I don't keep wishing for an information leak or an informative slip of the tongue, though.

Additionally,

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Thank you Storm for the fantastic answers to our questions, this is more like it! ;)

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 01:51 AM

In the memorable words of "Dr. David Banner":

Mr. McGee. Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Here my Questions:

1.Do you have any intentions to add blog like post on the site or to refreshing the official site in any way?

2.Are critical hit present in th game?

3.Are save throw gone away?

4.How many encounter and daily powers can y have equipped at the same time?

5.When you say "later" or "soon" what means in temporal unity of measure?

6.What are the 2 green icon at the left of the UI bar that we can see in the video?

P.S. sorry for my english

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Q.What weapons will be available? Will I be able to use a mancatcher like in 2nd or 4e's Adventurer's Vault?

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Q: Can Foundry use recorded speech for dialogues? I mean, can be use recorded voice for map creation/NPC's?

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Great, take ONE day off from the boards and THAT'S the day he responds.

But thanks SS for answering the questions even when to respond you couldn't answer that (right now.)

Originally Posted by grummush

1. When are you going to start answering questions ? haha

Tomorrow!

Great G set up SS to answer that way causing a paradox and the upcoming black hole sucking everything into non-existence from the rip in quantum reality.

I hope you're happy! :p

But before we all cease to exist:

Will we have mini-games in NW?

What is the name of the "cash shop" and the item(s) used for it in the NW genre?

Thanks so much!

Archived Post
04-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Here my Questions:

1.Do you have any intentions to add blog like post on the site or to refreshing the official site in any way?

2.Are critical hit present in th game?

3.Are save throw gone away?

Going to save Stormy some time.... they aren't ready to talk about combat mechanics yet.

Maybe he can say something about # of active powers though... you could pretty much guess as-is from the video.

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 03:04 AM
In the memorable words of "Dr. David Banner":

Mr. McGee. Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry...

Aandre and Aavarius, I just take his answer to mean he cannot talk about the Bard ( much like the Ranger ) :)

Oh and I suspect the tentative name for neverwinter's version of Dilithium is Residuum. ;)

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Aandre and Aavarius, I just take his answer to mean he cannot talk about the Bard ( much like the Ranger ) :)

You mean, he cannot sing about the bard, right? :)
But I do hope when the bard comes up, it is a class with unique audio skills and unique playstyle, and not just, "sing terribly so that the enemy takes damage".

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 05:12 AM

Oh and I suspect the tentative name for neverwinter's version of Dilithium is Residuum. ;)

I'm guessing Astral Diamonds, as Residumm might really be used in some rituals. But continue your humor :p

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 05:18 AM
I'm guessing Astral Diamonds, as Residumm might really be used in some rituals. But continue your humor :p

Honestly forgot about Astral Diamonds :eek:

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Let's keep this topic clean of page-long offtopic, can we ;-) ?

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Q. Can players and/or NPC's hide within objects? Like say a Trojan Horse or say dead hookers (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avnlVqtAVsc)?

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 08:15 AM
One of the biggest impacts a game can have for me is audio. Specifically, environmental audio. In games like Everquest, it seemed to me this was a big consideration. I don't notice it nearly as much in World of Warcraft, but it's not bad. It's my hope that in a game like Neverwinter, where PvE is, or I hope will be, the primary focus, will environmental audio get it's due?
Can there be anything like really hearing the drip of water in an underground cave or the shuffle of feet as you move along the stone floor of a subterranean complex in the near pitch dark? Or what about the sounds of an outdoor environment as your ranger trailblazes his/her way through the forest at night? Or hearing wild animals in the distance as you set up camp in the dark, to rest and let your wizard renew his spells?

Q: So will environmental audio get much attention in Neverwinter?

It has such a large impact on the feel of a game. IMHO, more so even than the visuals. Although, so far the visuals do look delicious!

Archived Post
04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Question: Is durability implemented to weapons/armor/equipments in game?

Question: Will rust monster eat iron and wood weapon would be good idea to fight them?

Question: Is the crafting being designed is immersive and better than other games in your opinion?

Thanks a lot :p

Archived Post
04-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Q. Will there be aging? Will there be different effects for forced aging or for a player choosing an age at character creation?

Q. Will cosmetic items have multiple ways they can be worn if applicable? For instance say I have a scarf. Can I wear it down around my neck or around my face?

Q. Will rules for encumbrance be present?

Archived Post
04-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Okay i might start of with saying sorry if my bad english might ofend enyone, enyways back too what i wanted too ask, i want too start of saying that the game seams very promising and ive beta tested alot of games from the begining of them dota 2, starcraft 2, etc, and im hoping that ill be abel too test this one too :). enyways my question goes like this will there be worlds for rprs like me that want too create a world together like a world that you can change together. for example a big group of dwarfs gets together (100) and they all support this person witch then creates a clan witch leads too them starting the creation of a city. this would also be very great since it would create a great atmosphere and a general great rp'feeling. i dont know the word for what am talking about but i think you probebly will understand me. im basicly saying will there be servers witch is for rprs and players are allowed too create player content that efects the map. now if your answer would be how would you support such a system lets put it simple you have a rack of GMs witch you need too get in contact with one of them and talk with them about youre idear witch they will maby talk about/answer yes or no if your allowed too do it. thanks -julius

Archived Post
04-21-2012, 07:31 PM
Just one thing I've been wanting to know:

Is the whole world going to be just one giant map or are they going to be separated map per map by portals?

Archived Post
04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Just one thing I've been wanting to know:

Is the whole world going to be just one giant map or are they going to be separated map per map by portals?

The devs have said that Neverwinter is an open world game. It won't be portal based or hub based.

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
A couple more questions:

1. Key mapping and movement. I trust the game will have wasd movement, but how customizable are the keys? Can we also re-map our at wills and encounters from the mouse? Yes, I'd very much like that too. I'm not a fan of third party programs and only at times I realize how important the ability to key map is..

2. What kind of tools will we have in foundry concerning lore? Items, wall scripts, npc scripts etc..

3. Will crafting contain mini-games or will it be a straight-forward success or failure thing?

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 01:03 PM
The devs have said that Neverwinter is an open world game. It won't be portal based or hub based.

Can you post that quote? Because from what I've read and watched, open world has been slightly twisted to mean that while you will be able to travel from town to town in an open world sense, you will still have loading screens as you travel from area to area.

Has this been cleared up? And if so, can somebody post this so it's clearly understood?

Thanks!

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 01:08 PM
The main city of Neverwinter and possibly the surrounding country side will be open. However specific dungeons will be instanced for players.

That being said, the game will be one server, and Cryptic will have it sharded off. In STO and CO it's 100 players per shard but you can freely transfer around each shard as much as you like.

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Can you post that quote? Because from what I've read and watched, open world has been slightly twisted to mean that while you will be able to travel from town to town in an open world sense, you will still have loading screens as you travel from area to area.

Has this been cleared up? And if so, can somebody post this so it's clearly understood?

Thanks!

The reference I'm thinking of is in this Pokket interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PhhLZAFJmTs). I don't know any more then that. I suppose it doesn't really clear up any confusion. We don't have details.

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 02:05 PM

I know it's an open world game, but some open world games have maps separated by portals like RaiderZ.

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Can you post that quote?

A big brown Bear I see on forums is collecting all the information in a thread (http://forums.playneverwinter.com/showthread.php?t=4738)about what devs have said and a sumary of all the interviews.

You can get/add/edit all info in that thread and get the quotes. :)

just a heads up.

Archived Post
04-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks for clearing that up as much as can be. At this point it's wait and see. Either way, it's an open world to run and play in! How awesome will all this be?

Cheers!

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 01:47 AM
Will it be possible to purchase a lifetime subscription like in CO and STO?

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 03:29 AM
Will it be possible to purchase a lifetime subscription like in CO and STO?

if they don't "freemium" certain classes or limit access to certain things it's a moot point as this is a free game NOT a convert from a subscription model. We'd have to be told more about what is or isn't in the FtP model which WAS said they aren't ready to talk about it yet.

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry in advance if some of these questions have been asked before. I did read the whole thread but I may have missed some things.

- Will the world be all instanced or will it be open? I would hate to see hundreds of tiny zones. Everything should be open except for dungeons and foundry content.

- Is swimming implemented?

- Is the drow race unlocked and playable at launch?

- Will there be PC housing, or guild housing?

- Anything on crafting?

- We know from your other games that character creation will be long hard work for some players that want their character just right. Is there any way we can save our character presets at beta, so as to save time at launch?

Thanks ! :)

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 11:12 AM
- Is the drow race unlocked and playable at launch?

Well in one video at PAX East dev (i think its dev) plays as Tricster Rogue whos drow so at least i think that they will be! :P

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 11:15 AM
Well in one video at PAX East dev (i think its dev) plays as Tricster Rogue whos drow so at least i think that they will be! :P

*takes Anglomyr to one side of a room and whispers in ear*
Shh... we will trick StromShade into saying it, thus it will be official!
*Laughs with evil face*

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 11:25 AM
*takes Anglomyr to one side of a room and whispers in ear*
Shh... we will trick StromShade into saying it, thus it will be official!
*Laughs with evil face*

But but but...oh whatever i just go play some Heroes of Might & Magic 3 cause its clear that nobody wants me here :mad:

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Will there be night/day cycle? Or weather?

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 05:02 PM

Well, I think it is safe to say that it is extremely possible, for at least the social hub areas like the city of Neverwinter. Star Trek Online recently opened a social hub city which has extremely beautiful and smooth transitions with lighting effects and shading augmenting its day/night cycle.

Actual missions may not have this, as time of day and the lighting thereof plays as much a part in setting a propper mood as the environment itself. It would be good to have the option in foundry quest development to set the time of day rather than being locked into just a map with a preset environment setting.

Having said that, I too am interested in what sort of improvements in environment presentation are in store for us, so if StormShade can give input in this area, it would be awesome...

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 06:25 PM
Q

A

That's an interesting idea, I'll pass it along and see what we can do. However, please remember that not only will this likely be difficult to implement, it would also likely open up the possibility for all kinds of trolling/griefing.
I have a similar question about this,
Like the question above, I'd like to know if the Foundry will allow more than one, but I'd really love an option to set up an area as free for all, allowing people to wander in and out as they see fit, ( basically create an area, for roleplaying, not just quest reward or whatever ) Perhaps, something could be added to the Foundry, that allows us the option to host an area as open to the public, and one of those lil pop ups that say people will be coming and going as they see fit, this might release the worry about griefing and trolling.

Question about player names;
About the @gilly44 business..... I see this in STO and Champions, it really takes away from roleplaying in my opinion. I have found myself talking less and less while playing those games.
I am a very sociable person and I love being able to roleplay and get into character.
Another element about roleplay, is roleplayed guilds vs guilds, even if there never is any "PvP" this can be a successful amount of fun and intrigue.
But, if my stealthy spy slips in and my name now is Spy@Gilly44 then I have defeated my role and lost my fun as well as the fun of the other person who might be thinking " is this really a spy of X Y or Z, they know right away who it is.
So the question is, can we forgo the @gilly44 business in our names?
I realize this allows you to have multiple firse names that are the same, but how about this:
If you say, take the name "Bob" you get a pop up saying " This name is taken as is, please give yourself a surname" Or something like that.

Hobbies:
Will there be any hobbies, like cards, chess, fishing, hunting, darts, etc etc..
Something beyond game function to pass the time while waiting for a friend to log in?

Player Music:
Lord of the Rings Online has a unique interface, that allows the players to compose music using the ABC Notation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abc_notation)
For players that play lord of the Rings Online, this has become a must have, for many of us. I'd love to see this system added in to Neverwinter.

Monster Races:
In STO the character design of the race "Alien" has me hoping this will be something we can do in Neverwinter.
Will we have something customizable as that? I would really love it!
I often in Neverwinter nights ( nwn1 ) played with CEP on persistent worlds where we could have kobolds and other things like that.

Foundry and costs:
Will the Foundry be free from the start? Or will this be gated behind whatever equivalent of "dilithium" Neverwinter will have, like in STO?
If so, I am afraid that will put a lot of your creators out of the picture.
I know many of the old nwn1 community that don't even play the PWs they buld other than a bit of testing here and there, and spend most of their time in creators rather than playing. If say it is 50000 of whatever hard to get currency you use, ( like sto's dilithium ) Then you'd most likely get people like that simply not interested. I myself like to play, but i am not a hard core "grinder" and I never was able to get the Foundry open in STO and i have a level 50 fed, and level 45 or so, Empire fellow ( cant remember )
I would have loved to build stuff, but I didnt have the fund to ever open it up.

Thank you for taking time to answer folks :)
Here's hoping you will have good news for me and other roleplayers, or at least see some of my questions take them to the other dev depts, and they say " cool lets do it!" *grins*

Archived Post
04-25-2012, 06:37 PM
I am pretty sure you can turn off the @gilly44 in CO and STO. I really like the way Cryptic has implemented names, as it allows everyone to have the name they want.

Archived Post
04-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Would you please leave speculations out of this topic? It was supposed to be for questions and answers from devs, not pages long speculations from users ;/ Going through speculations might be tiring and discouraging for the person who is supposed to now "find" questions amid the speculation and then answer.

Archived Post
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
I am pretty sure you can turn off the @gilly44 in CO and STO. I really like the way Cryptic has implemented names, as it allows everyone to have the name they want.

Where can you turn this off at, I have specifically looked for this many times,but all I see is that @gilly44 business.

Hehe, it drives me batty.:D

gilly44
05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Q

A

I have a similar question about this,
Like the question above, I'd like to know if the Foundry will allow more than one, but I'd really love an option to set up an area as free for all, allowing people to wander in and out as they see fit, ( basically create an area, for roleplaying, not just quest reward or whatever ) Perhaps, something could be added to the Foundry, that allows us the option to host an area as open to the public, and one of those lil pop ups that say people will be coming and going as they see fit, this might release the worry about griefing and trolling.

Question about player names;
About the @gilly44 business..... I see this in STO and Champions, it really takes away from roleplaying in my opinion. I have found myself talking less and less while playing those games.
I am a very sociable person and I love being able to roleplay and get into character.
Another element about roleplay, is roleplayed guilds vs guilds, even if there never is any "PvP" this can be a successful amount of fun and intrigue.
But, if my stealthy spy slips in and my name now is Spy@Gilly44 then I have defeated my role and lost my fun as well as the fun of the other person who might be thinking " is this really a spy of X Y or Z, they know right away who it is.
So the question is, can we forgo the @gilly44 business in our names?
I realize this allows you to have multiple firse names that are the same, but how about this:
If you say, take the name "Bob" you get a pop up saying " This name is taken as is, please give yourself a surname" Or something like that.

Hobbies:
Will there be any hobbies, like cards, chess, fishing, hunting, darts, etc etc..
Something beyond game function to pass the time while waiting for a friend to log in?

Player Music:
Lord of the Rings Online has a unique interface, that allows the players to compose music using the ABC Notation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abc_notation)
For players that play lord of the Rings Online, this has become a must have, for many of us. I'd love to see this system added in to Neverwinter.

Monster Races:
In STO the character design of the race "Alien" has me hoping this will be something we can do in Neverwinter.
Will we have something customizable as that? I would really love it!
I often in Neverwinter nights ( nwn1 ) played with CEP on persistent worlds where we could have kobolds and other things like that.

Foundry and costs:
Will the Foundry be free from the start? Or will this be gated behind whatever equivalent of "dilithium" Neverwinter will have, like in STO?
If so, I am afraid that will put a lot of your creators out of the picture.
I know many of the old nwn1 community that don't even play the PWs they buld other than a bit of testing here and there, and spend most of their time in creators rather than playing. If say it is 50000 of whatever hard to get currency you use, ( like sto's dilithium ) Then you'd most likely get people like that simply not interested. I myself like to play, but i am not a hard core "grinder" and I never was able to get the Foundry open in STO and i have a level 50 fed, and level 45 or so, Empire fellow ( cant remember )
I would have loved to build stuff, but I didnt have the fund to ever open it up.

Thank you for taking time to answer folks :)
Here's hoping you will have good news for me and other roleplayers, or at least see some of my questions take them to the other dev depts, and they say " cool lets do it!" *grins*

Quoting my post here, since it did not get answered before the forum changes. :)

rangerlordsolo
05-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Here's my question.

Granted I know this game will be PC focused. As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM? Again I know that this wouldn't be on top of the list but with many users of Mac having these programs or running BootCamp it might be something to look into as a side test. What problems might crop up for a person who doesn't have a native PC running Windows.

I'm hoping that your team may have their hands on a Mac able to run a VM program or if you would think about asking the community here to help test. As much as I know that getting a PC made for game would be better. Not everybody has the cash or time to do so. Plus Linux users would make good testers too as to how your game would run. We all would like to help where we can if given the chance to do so.

Even if you cannot directly answer this, could you give an opinion on it? I know I wouldn't hold it in stone and I hope others wouldn't do as well.

Ranger Solo

aandrethegiant
05-10-2012, 03:13 AM
Here's my question.

Granted I know this game will be PC focused. As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM? Again I know that this wouldn't be on top of the list but with many users of Mac having these programs or running BootCamp it might be something to look into as a side test. What problems might crop up for a person who doesn't have a native PC running Windows.

I'm hoping that your team may have their hands on a Mac able to run a VM program or if you would think about asking the community here to help test. As much as I know that getting a PC made for game would be better. Not everybody has the cash or time to do so. Plus Linux users would make good testers too as to how your game would run. We all would like to help where we can if given the chance to do so.

Even if you cannot directly answer this, could you give an opinion on it? I know I wouldn't hold it in stone and I hope others wouldn't do as well.

Ranger Solo

We have guildies who run DDO flawlessly on a Mac. And Turbine's done jack with it. So that's quite possibly a good sign, although no guarantee, that Neverwinter will hopefully work in that fashion.

ian20120505
05-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi stormshade, could you comment on the region block issue which was mentioned in the following thread?

Will people live in east Asia be able to play Neverwinter? (http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=5791)

iamtruthseeker
06-08-2012, 07:34 PM
For everybody including Stormshade:

When will more Game information be released here, now that the Electronic Entertainment Expo has had Cryptic release Neverwinter Online information to the Press at-large?

presbytier7
06-08-2012, 08:04 PM
For everybody including Stormshade:

When will more Game information be released here, now that the Electronic Entertainment Expo has had Cryptic release Neverwinter Online information to the Press at-large?

^This
I was wondering the same thing; like can we get actual gameplay footage that demonstrates how the game mechanics work.

gillrmn
06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Why are official gameplay videos bad-looking compared to the footage of gameplay at events?

Is it because the problem with server side video recording tool which was initially mentioned? (or were the gameplay videos done too early and you improved the game after making that video?)

Also, I hate myself when I say this, maybe not releasing them would be better as people might get wrong idea about graphical capabilities.
p.s. as much as I want to know about gameplay, I would hate if it sends across wrong message to prospective NW gamers and bring bad rep to game.

Also, have the CG effects been made while keeping epiliptic(PSE) patients in mind? (it seemed very flashy)

vangald
06-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I think people just need to stop sulking about graphics. Folks act like we were looking at ps1 or even Ultima style graphics. The game looks fine. If your looking a rig testing game look at the fps market for that noise. MMO's have to cater to more than the Uber rig builders.

edit*

I will admit having problems with that helmet on that tiefling though. Need a special helmet models that accommodate the tieflings.

gillrmn
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I think people just need to stop sulking about graphics. ...

I agree with you that graphics don't matter. This is coming from a person who enjoys pnp and whose favorite rpg includes eye of beholder, fire emblem etc. However, as this is not discussion thread, lets not discuss that.

My concern still remains:- why isn't official video able to show actual graphical capability of game and will it not bring needless bad rep for game.

iamtruthseeker
06-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Since the conclusion of E3, when will there be new information released about Neverwinter on this forum?

qumi0
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Asked him on twitter a few days ago:

Soon. It's on my list of things to do. :-)

aandrethegiant
06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
suggested signature of PW/Cryptic devs and moderators:

soon (r) Registered trademark of Turbine Inc. Used by permission.

shiaika
06-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Since the conclusion of E3, when will there be new information released about Neverwinter on this forum?
PAX? b:chuckle

gillrmn
06-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Asked him on twitter a few days ago:

I know:

List of to do:-

Tasks -- Probable date
- Give first demo for startrek on mars: Soon(r)
- Beta test for first teleportation device: Soon(r)
- Launching STO to the alien community from U3R4 planet system: Soon(r)
- Celebrating New Year - Happy 3000: Soon(r)
- Sun is running out of fuel today: Soon(r)

lol, it was a joke. It isn't that bad.
Is it?

rangerlordsolo
06-21-2012, 08:12 PM
So we are no closer to knowing anything now then before the E3 event?

Am I correct on this?

aandrethegiant
06-21-2012, 08:24 PM
So we are no closer to knowing anything now then before the E3 event?

Am I correct on this?

Well, except how to link to PWs "fabulous" Zen Shopping Network, no news that I know of...

rangerlordsolo
06-21-2012, 08:37 PM
That's all fancy and good for some but please excuse me for not caring about that system at the moment.

I know I must sound real negative now but I have my reasons to be a bit bitter at this point. But of course not at you big guy.

iamtruthseeker
06-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Due to the ridiculous amounts of junk tweets I don't bother checking twitter, but if a response says it's on his list I can accept that as potentially ongoing to update. As to when, that we will see.

And I will not laugh at that Soon trademark of Turbine joke.......

While logged in here

*logs out for a possible chuckle*

ryvvik
06-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Will Monsters when reduced to there Bloodied hitpoint lvl, go troppo on the group and unleash there powerfull attacks/Powers, hopefully to see some randomization with regards to there tactics, in delves ect?

aandrethegiant
06-23-2012, 05:21 PM
That's all fancy and good for some but please excuse me for not caring about that system at the moment.

I know I must sound real negative now but I have my reasons to be a bit bitter at this point. But of course not at you big guy.

I wouldnt waste a dime on it. When the game comes out, if I like it, I will support it. I will not be mass marketed.

This site doesnt even feel like its about the game to me. Its feels like the Zen Shopping Network, with a Neverwinter logo emblazoned on top of it, and we are interested passerbys looking for a printout from a kiosk that doesnt even have a plug.

macabrivs
06-24-2012, 05:48 AM
Will Monsters when reduced to there Bloodied hitpoint lvl, go troppo on the group and unleash there powerfull attacks/Powers, hopefully to see some randomization with regards to there tactics, in delves ect?

Yes, thats a good point, also in pnp d&d u have ablities, feats, class features, etc... that allows u to do more dmg when u or ur enemies are bloodied. Theres even powers that the trigger is to be bloodied....

As far i noticed in all the gameplay videos, i didnt spot any warning when u or enemies are bloodied so i guess thats another 4th edition feature left behind :/

qumi0
08-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm a bit interested in the campaign that Stormshade and the devs are playing PnP ;-)

So can you tell us, Stormshade, the plot and what's your role there?

gillrmn
08-19-2012, 03:00 AM
The cleric just out of prayer chamber after an hour of sleep... no - meditation, freshly yawning... no - tasting the fresh air of... uh, night looks in his inventory.

He finds a scroll and open it up to read the title - *Resurrection*. He casts the spell and looks at beads which shattered from his necklace. Suddenly a thread appears to bind them!

My questions:-

1- Do wizards get to use staffs in combat animation?

2- What role do deities play in the game? Are the deity specific paragon paths and/or domains available? Or do they plan to implement them at some time?

3- Is it possible to 'romance' NPCs using dialogue options in foundry?

4- Would rituals be implemented into the game?

iamtruthseeker
08-25-2012, 05:44 PM
Will Neverwinter (and your Cryptic engine customized for it) support (or should I say continue to support) gamepad controllers?

thunderspanker
08-25-2012, 05:54 PM
im not sure what you mean by romancing npc's, but though i am not fully qualified to answer this here goes. lol.. you can do just about anything with the dialogue.. you can type anything you want, and branch it to go where you want it to based on their responses.. so yes, you could romance an npc.. sure. you could get her drunk.. whatever. lol.. its all in the dialogue.. now you arent gonna get a cut scene that shows you being all romantic.. that would be downright awesome, though. lol

demitruth
08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Hello. I will assume this would be the best place to ask the following, since this is a 'ask the dev' page.

I am a voice actor, but I do it as a hobby as something that I greatly enjoy. After being given the chance to work on a community built expansion game and voicing a few characters, I've become a little hooked on doing character voices. But as you already know, approaching a company for an opportunity to do voice work may sometimes be...difficult.

So I am writing to ask:

1) Will the game have any in-game narration or character voices for NPCs?
2) And if so, would there be a chance for an outsider to be considered for a part as a possible actor?

As I've mentioned, I do have experience with voice acting. So if my request is possible, I would love to work with your game. If you wish, I may provide samples and the name of the game I worked on.

Thank you!

-Demitruth

stormdrag0n
08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Hello. I will assume this would be the best place to ask the following, since this is a 'ask the dev' page.

I am a voice actor, but I do it as a hobby as something that I greatly enjoy. After being given the chance to work on a community built expansion game and voicing a few characters, I've become a little hooked on doing character voices. But as you already know, approaching a company for an opportunity to do voice work may sometimes be...difficult.

So I am writing to ask:

1) Will the game have any in-game narration or character voices for NPCs?
2) And if so, would there be a chance for an outsider to be considered for a part as a possible actor?

As I've mentioned, I do have experience with voice acting. So if my request is possible, I would love to work with your game. If you wish, I may provide samples and the name of the game I worked on.

Thank you!

-Demitruth

A lot of us are hoping for things like DM flavor text, Narration and the like....though I have heard through the grapevine that won't be in the game at launch and maybe ever. I hope I was misinformed though.

demitruth
08-27-2012, 07:03 PM
A lot of us are hoping for things like DM flavor text, Narration and the like....though I have heard through the grapevine that won't be in the game at launch and maybe ever. I hope I was misinformed though.

Well, that would be sad. I hope they are willing to include it. Already head one strike out today, don't wish for another. *laughing* Oh, well.

iamtruthseeker
08-27-2012, 07:13 PM
Well, that would be sad. I hope they are willing to include it. Already head one strike out today, don't wish for another. *laughing* Oh, well.

The only thing official SS said on the questions to the Devs is he wasn't able to talk about it this time (in regards to voice narration.) DM text like DDO's he confirmed is not in elsewhere.

demitruth
08-27-2012, 07:59 PM
The only thing official SS said on the questions to the Devs is he wasn't able to talk about it this time (in regards to voice narration.) DM text like DDO's he confirmed is not in elsewhere.

That is good to know. Hmmmm. Would anyone happen to know who I may inquire with, I mean, if it is possible to do so?

razorrxgdb
08-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I think the DM voice is a super cool feature at DDO. I can see why NW will not have it - you do not want to seem just like that *other* game. Plus I think NW will (I Hope I hope) be more immersive than DDO.

zebular
08-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I think the DM voice is a super cool feature at DDO. I can see why NW will not have it - you do not want to seem just like that *other* game. Plus I think NW will (I Hope I hope) be more immersive than DDO.

I agree on the DDO voice-over love. I love, absolutely love, voice-overs in MMOs - or any game for that matter. I too truly love DDO's DM voice-overs. Probably one of the few things that I like about DDO. I hope that NWO has voice-overs. Examples of MMOs that have Voice-Overs that I really have enjoyed are such titles as DDO, EQ2, DCUO, STO (really love it when Leonard speaks to me), and SWtoR.

Wouldn't it be cool if they got Ed Greenwood to do DM style Voice-Overs for NWO? Mmmmm.

For me however, in game Voice-Overs are the main point of immersion for me. Without the world interacting *with me* (instead of me interacting with the world), I do not feel as immersed as I would otherwise.

razorrxgdb
08-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I agree. I love, absolutely love, voice-overs in MMOs - or any game for that matter. I too truly love DDO's DM voice-overs. Probably one of the few things that I like about DDO. I hope that NWO has voice-overs. Examples of MMOs that have Voice-Overs that I really have enjoyed are such titles as DDO, EQ2, DCUO, STO (really love it when Leonard speaks to me), and SWtoR.

Wouldn't it be cool if they got Ed Greenwood to do DM style Voice-Overs for NWO? Mmmmm.

Greenwood should totally be Elminster or some kind of sage narrating the opening of the game or something. The father of the realms NEEDS to be in the game in a meaningful way and not just by doing a DM voice for 1 chain.

Would it not be cool if Ed was a voice tutorial for character creation, giving some background to each race/class/etc? That would so rock.

iamtruthseeker
08-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Greenwood should totally be Elminster or some kind of sage narrating the opening of the game or something. The father of the realms NEEDS to be in the game in a meaningful way and not just by doing a DM voice for 1 chain.

Would it not be cool if Ed was a voice tutorial for character creation, giving some background to each race/class/etc? That would so rock.

OMG +20 to this!

BTW, at a Gencon long ago in the days of 2E being current, Ed not only showed up and told us stories, he even once dressed up as Elminster in the Living City Interactive! That was such a trip, including him "tasting" the poison to determine which kind murdered the victim! Ahh, good times.

demitruth
08-27-2012, 09:18 PM

A lot of games have voice over work and are not like DDO. I think it would take many more things in common before the games begin looking the same.

demitruth
08-27-2012, 09:27 PM
OMG +20 to this!

BTW, at a Gencon long ago in the days of 2E being current, Ed not only showed up and told us stories, he even once dressed up as Elminster in the Living City Interactive! That was such a trip, including him "tasting" the poison to determine which kind murdered the victim! Ahh, good times.

Like Gary Gygax in one of the quest arcs in DDO. *smile* It's a nice touch.

giggliato
08-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I was just wondering if I will be able to play Foundry content all day every day with other people without having to pay monies to PW?

Or will "higher level" Foundry content be behind a paywall? I put higher level in quotation marks because the videos seem to suggest that the dungeons scale to the user, which basically makes levels meaningless which is another thing entirely...

giggliato
08-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Like Gary Gygax in one of the quest arcs in DDO. *smile* It's a nice touch.

I think a voice over at the beginning of every quest would be neat. An option for full audio dialogue would be ideal but that would require more work and things.

iamtruthseeker
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I was just wondering if I will be able to play Foundry content all day every day with other people without having to pay monies to PW?

Or will "higher level" Foundry content be behind a paywall? I put higher level in quotation marks because the videos seem to suggest that the dungeons scale to the user, which basically makes levels meaningless which is another thing entirely...

All content (quests) will be free, including Foundry ones. Cryptic learned the hard way previously how you just don't make money on people paying for quests profitwise.

giggliato
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM
All content (quests) will be free, including Foundry ones. Cryptic learned the hard way previously how you just don't make money on people paying for quests profitwise.

What do they expect Foundry DM's to pay for then??

Personally I'm not at all interested in the game that Cryptic is making, unless it is good of course b:laugh

I am mostly interested in what independent creators are able to produce. I would probably feel bad not paying for the game though, perhaps I will buy a special wizards hat if they sell those.

demitruth
08-29-2012, 09:22 AM
I just realized something. Seeing as how VO most likely won't be involved in the game (a sad thing), would it be possible, for players who use the Foundry, to include audio into their customized quests? If they were to record their own segments, would they be able to include it into the game?

aescleal
08-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Well consider this neet tool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c
This would be a roleplay friendly addition to an MMO. I can see some not liking it, but personally I'd love it.

iamtruthseeker
08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
I just realized something. Seeing as how VO most likely won't be involved in the game (a sad thing), would it be possible, for players who use the Foundry, to include audio into their customized quests? If they were to record their own segments, would they be able to include it into the game?

Well consider this neet tool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG6GK6Oo58c
This would be a roleplay friendly addition to an MMO. I can see some not liking it, but personally I'd love it.

Happy correction and VO potential here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=172321&postcount=85

SO a possible HORRAY to VO after all!

demitruth
08-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Happy correction and VO potential here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=172321&postcount=85

SO a possible HORRAY to VO after all!

*Big smile* Gonna get my mic. :)

qumi0
08-30-2012, 03:23 AM
We've seen lots of demos of Neverwinter during various conventions, however, we've only seen trickster rogue, guardian fighter and control wizard. Ok, you don't have to show different classes, but I would really like to see other kinds of rogues cuz somehow I get the feeling only trickster rogue will be there.

gillrmn
08-30-2012, 03:59 PM
We've seen lots of demos of Neverwinter during various conventions, however, we've only seen trickster rogue, guardian fighter and control wizard. Ok, you don't have to show different classes, but I would really like to see other kinds of rogues cuz somehow I get the feeling only trickster rogue will be there.

I believe that great weapon fighter has also been confirmed along with those... unless I am wrong.

iamtruthseeker
08-30-2012, 06:37 PM
I believe that great weapon fighter has also been confirmed along with those... unless I am wrong.

I missed that one! Anybody have pics/videos?

crypticmapolis
08-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I missed that one! Anybody have pics/videos?

I hope we do soon, because the Great Weapon Fighter is freakin' AWESOME! :)

ryvvik
08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
thanks for the raising the hype meter that lil bit more!!!

iamtruthseeker
08-30-2012, 10:40 PM

Fantastic! I'm so stoked....

Back in 2nd (and 3rd) ed times, I played a Tempite (follower of Tempus) Priest/Barbarian (then cleric/barbarian/fighter) named "Bob." His signature weapon (obviously to those who know Tempus) was the greatsword. I always admired that THF fighting style thanks to him, so seeing the GW fighter is a build option here makes me decided that my next fighter here will be this build.
But be warned, while Bob was the role-playing accepted challenge that the BDF (Big Dumb Fighter) didn't have to be played stupidly, and while his wisdom is uncanny, he is, to put it in his words, "Dum as post."

He also said his parents named him Bob, because, "Easy to remember, even if say Backward."

Yes, I miss the days when int could be 6 in sanctioned living city game-play, but that's what role-playing is for now :)

zebular
08-30-2012, 11:37 PM
That's funny. "Bob" and "Bobby" are the names our PnP Group uses constantly for random NPCs and temporary name-holders for NPC names we DMs use (there's three of us that DM our own Campaigns) when we have a brain fart and cannot find or remember an NPC's name.

That usage harkens back to the first Campaign I played in before I DM'd too, which there are still three of us from that original time. Usually, the Bobs and Bobby's are free game and won't impact an adventure if killed. Usually... *the mage gives a vile grin for a moment*

"What be yer name?" The dwarf asked the theif he caught picking his pocket in the marketplace.
"My friends calls me..." The DM fumbles through papers and looks up with a mixed face.
"Bobby, they call me Bobby." The gnome responds smiling awkwardly.

The dwarf proceeds to call his target and begins initiative....

gillrmn
08-31-2012, 01:05 AM

Can the great weapon fighter use scythe as a two handed weapon?

*cleverly disguises two questions - is scythe in game and can PC use any weapon they are proficient in. Smiles at his slyness...*

iamtruthseeker
08-31-2012, 03:05 AM

*cleverly disguises two questions - is scythe in game and can PC use any weapon they are proficient in. Smiles at his slyness...*

The answer is yes.

GREAT WEAPON FIGHTER

You?re interested in dealing out the most damage you can. You prefer big two-handed weapons such as the greatsword or greataxe. You?re more interested in fighting hard than fighting smart. Your best ability score is definitely Strength. A good Constitution improves your ability to use high damage weapons, such as axes and hammers. Plus, extra hit points always help. Select powers that work well with two-handed weapons to make the most of this build.
Suggested Feat: Power Attack (Human feat: Action Surge)
Suggested Skills: Athletics, Endurance, Intimidate
Suggested At-Will Powers: cleave, reaping strike
Suggested Encounter Power: spinning sweep
Suggested Daily Power: brute strike

Simple two-handed melee weapon
Cost: 5 gp
Damage: 2d4
Proficient: +2
Weight: 10 lb.
Group:
Heavy blade (Blades are balanced edged weapons. Heavy blades share some of the precision of light blades and some of the mass of axes. Heavy blades are used primarily for slashing cuts rather than stabs and thrusts.).

to them being able to use it. As to the scythe being in the game, that is up to the Cryptic developers/coders.

gillrmn
09-02-2012, 11:25 AM
As stromshade has not answered this thread for quite some time, the thread has turned into a mess of discussion and unanswered questions.

So I took my showel and dug out all the questions asked by community ever since last reply by stromshade. Hope he sees them and answers (I am guessing no comments to most). I also classified them and deleted pharagraph details so the questions won't be tiresome to read. I hope SS addresses the questions in near future.

Character Customisation

Can male tiefling be made with and without facial spikes?
Will my Deva Swordmage be able to customize his tattoos?
Will there be aging?
Will cosmetic items have multiple ways they can be worn if applicable?

Social

Is there LFG/LFM panel; automatic ques for dungeons?
Is there a system to recruit guild players outside of game or before release?

Roleplay/Story

Are other books(apart from Drizzt novel) being used in NW (Brimstone angels and Cold Steel and Secrets)?
Would there be event related to Rise of Underdark?
Can we explore Gauntlgrym at some point in main plot?
Are there mystery based events/quests? (like a detective story)

Game Mechanics

Can a rogue climb as in CO and launch surprize attacks?
Can we visit motes like Moonstone Mask?
Are critical hit/saving throw mechanics present in the game?
How many powers (encounter/daily/utility) can be equipped at a time?
What weapons will be available(manctacher?)?
Can players and/or NPC's hide within objects?
Will environmental audio get much attention in Neverwinter?
Is durability implemented to weapons/armor/equipments in game?
Will rust monster eat iron and wood weapon would be good idea to fight them?
Will rules for encumbrance be present?
how customizable are the keys?
Is swimming implemented?
Do wizards get to use staffs in combat animation?
Would rituals be implemented into the game?
Will the game have any in-game narration or character voices for NPCs?

Forums/Website
Any blog like post will be added to website?

Misc

How long is soon(days/weeks/months/quaters/years)?
What are the 2 green icon at the left of the UI bar that we can see in the video?
Will there be PC housing, or guild housing?
Is there any way we can save our character presets at beta, so as to save time at launch?
As a Mac user who has Parallels and CrossOver, I was wondering if your team has tried any testing with these VM?
Why are official gameplay videos bad-looking compared to the footage of gameplay at events?
What role do deities play in the game? Are the deity specific paragon paths and/or domains available? Or do they plan to implement them at some time?
Will Neverwinter (and your Cryptic engine customized for it) support (or should I say continue to support) gamepad controllers?

Foundry/Crafting

Can Foundry use recorded speech for dialogues?
Is the crafting being designed is immersive and better than other games in your opinion?
Will crafting contain mini-games or will it be a straight-forward success or failure thing?
Is it possible to 'romance' NPCs using dialogue options in foundry?

Those 'normal users' who know the answer to questions, kindly resist the urge to answer them. I know you are trying to be helpful but it is derailing the thread by making it a long discourse between users. And I am trying to tell this to myself to (and am holding back my helpful self from replying to many questions above). Let us let devs address them and appreciate their effort to come in touch with community.

iamtruthseeker
09-02-2012, 05:51 PM
As stromshade has not answered this thread for quite some time, the thread has turned into a mess of discussion and unanswered questions.

So I took my showel and dug out all the questions asked by community ever since last reply by stromshade. Hope he sees them and answers (I am guessing no comments to most). I also classified them and deleted pharagraph details so the questions won't be tiresome to read. I hope SS addresses the questions in near future.

Thanks gillrmn for re-uping these questions and I hope SS and/or other devs will answer these sometime on or after Tuesday. As per your request, I'll stay silent with the other regulars regarding answers, allowing the official game answers to supersede as well as re-establish the gamer-dev community here.

gillrmn
09-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I was watching the trailers and the moon has no visual effect of tears. Is it possible to add tears to the moon (might be just changing a bit map?) to show the incident of red comet and Selune?

aandrethegiant
09-04-2012, 03:05 PM
LIST

This is excellent work! This should help Stormshade quite a bit!

iamtruthseeker
09-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Please come back to us Stormshade! :(

crypticmapolis
09-13-2012, 12:36 AM

Stormshade has been extremely busy lately, but I'll answer what I can:

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Is there LFG/LFM panel; automatic ques for dungeons?

Yes to all of the above.

Are there mystery based events/quests? (like a detective story)

Quite a few actually!

Can we visit motes like Moonstone Mask?

Absolutely.

Will environmental audio get much attention in Neverwinter?

The ambient audio is being done really well IMO. We've got a great team of audio engineers on this project.

There is weather, but no dynamic day/night cycle. I'm a fan of day/night cycles too, but speaking from an artist's perspective it's a nightmare to set the mood/lighting of an environment if it keeps changing. The tech is certainly there (with its share of graphical problems) because we did it in Champions, so it can be done if it's something players feel would drastically improve the game.

I think so but the details are fuzzy because they're still figuring out how much voice to add to the game. We most likely will not be fully voicing the game though.

Yes

Can Foundry use recorded speech for dialogues?

No

gillrmn
09-13-2012, 12:40 AM

Yes

*jumps up and starts dancing*

surf13
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
**happy dance**

katalystik
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Does anyone else feel like they won the lottery when crypticmapolis posts? Cause I do!

It's raining truth up in here!

surf13
09-13-2012, 12:53 AM
*raises hand*

I do! :D Hence the Happy dance!

iamtruthseeker
09-13-2012, 01:35 AM
*jumps up and starts dancing*

**happy dance**

*Joins in with Snoopy Dance*

Does anyone else feel like they won the lottery when crypticmapolis posts? Cause I do!

It's raining truth up in here!

Now it's raining me?!

I call copyright infringement!

*Summons lawyer and finds the only creature left that's Lawful Evil in 4E...

many many hours later, he kills the lawyer and dumps it at the bottom of the Ocean of "A Good Start", and decides to drop the whole thing.*

zebular
09-13-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm loving the developer interactions here about the foundry and other tid-bits! Thanks crypticmapolis!

surf13
09-13-2012, 04:44 AM
@crypticmapolis

Any news on whether xbox 360 controller will be supported?

ghosty2a
09-14-2012, 12:35 AM
@crypticmapolis

Any news on whether xbox 360 controller will be supported?

I know Cryptic has an option for the 360 controller in CO, don't play STO, so no idea about that game. I also know that early on in the CO forums there was much discussion about making a port of the game for the X-Box console, but that never got developed.

So two questions:
1) Since Cryptic has said they will be using the same game engine as CO and they plan on making the games UI front end to have as few hot bars as possible, will they be incorporating user controls for game-pads and controllers in general, and not just for 360 controllers ( and note i already have a wireless 360 controller, so no problem there, I just much prefer using other types of controller/game-pad).
2: Will this game be ported to other platforms such as X-Box, PS3, WII or some other? Actually would be nice if playable across ALL of them. And yes, include the Linux and MAC folks too.

aavarius
09-14-2012, 04:14 AM

I think so but the details are fuzzy because they're still figuring out how much voice to add to the game. We most likely will not be fully voicing the game though.

So...serious business. How much beer do we need to buy the team to get that less fuzzy? Or would that be counterproductive?

lyfebane
09-14-2012, 06:55 AM
hmm so there will be a great weapon fighter(aka 2hander)? beserker? Paladin? whatever gillrmn goes on about? *cough* deathkinght?

vangald
09-14-2012, 08:20 AM

There is weather, but no dynamic day/night cycle. I'm a fan of day/night cycles too, but speaking from an artist's perspective it's a nightmare to set the mood/lighting of an environment if it keeps changing. The tech is certainly there (with its share of graphical problems) because we did it in Champions, so it can be done if it's something players feel would drastically improve the game.

I am for it if we can get night based encounters in safe areas if a player travels out of site of friendly npc's or away from large groups of players. NPC thief tries to mug you. A rabid dog tries to attack you. A "lady of the night" tries to lure you into a back alley some thugs try to kill for some reason (money or otherwise). Maybe add a horror based event around halloween where you spot some weird figure in the distance and it disappears. etc.

iamtruthseeker
09-16-2012, 02:11 AM
From: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=197311#post197311

And herein lies the rub:

"Episodes" in the ST universe are often movies/television shows done by real-life actors who are part of copyrighted and personal images. Whether this is allowed for fantasy characters is uncertain, as well as if it's allowed as a "private campaign of a module they have" as well. But whether we can reproduce D&D "famous characters" and "campaigns played" will need to bew answered by a PWE/Cryptic employee for clarity.

So PWE/Cryptic, can we use famous D&D characters and can we recreate famous D&D modules in our own interpretation?

subway7850
09-17-2012, 05:42 PM

THANK YOU so much for that! b:pleased

I thought I was going nuts when I played SWTOR, first 8 hours, fantastic with all the voice over..
But after that, my spacebar was the key I used the most frequent in that game.. b:angry

ambisinisterr
10-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Nice! First Q&A of the game.

Let's hope for some good questions and some better answers.

jadescimitar
10-19-2012, 11:38 PM

Hm... how's a rogue to hide in shadows when there are none... b:puzzled

zebular
10-19-2012, 11:44 PM

Objects cast shadows when they block a light-source's path, as does weather. Additionally, when you're underground or in a building, there is no need for a day and night cycle. I am not saying this is how it is in Neverwinter, but I would expect such from what I have seen in trailers and pictures.

Of course, nothing really exists until we observe it. *the mage grins wildly before returning to his studies*

kamaliicious
10-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Objects cast shadows when they block a light-source's path, as does weather. Additionally, when you're underground or in a building, there is no need for a day and night cycle. I am not saying this is how it is in Neverwinter, but I would expect such from what I have seen in trailers and pictures.

Of course, nothing really exists until we observe it. *the mage grins wildly before returning to his studies*
Lack of daynight cycle is bad. Old DnD games can do it.
link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvxnKcIkQNk&list=UUTB3It7cV5bt9luZ4hFSlCw&index=22&feature=plcp)

Also, buildings should have a daynight cycle as well, at least any building that has windows...

gillrmn
10-20-2012, 08:23 AM

There is shadowworld in 4e. That is the place rogues now draw their powers from, the ones you see in videos (slipping between shadow world and new world). Also, the Shadowfell is integral to neverwinter.

gillrmn
10-20-2012, 08:34 AM

WHAT THE !@#$?????

Do I see a lolth's symbol (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090201071327/forgottenrealms/images/7/73/Lolth_symbol_-_Mike_Schely.jpg) in your signature???

Blasphemy!

jadescimitar
10-20-2012, 10:35 AM
WHAT THE !@#$?????

Do I see a lolth's symbol (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090201071327/forgottenrealms/images/7/73/Lolth_symbol_-_Mike_Schely.jpg) in your signature???

Blasphemy!

could be Corellon's (http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/JadeScimitar/corellonsymbol_zps0394f4cf.jpg) b:laugh

faleth77
10-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Maybe it is attempting to look like Mystra's seven stars?

Link (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra)

zebular
10-20-2012, 01:49 PM
WHAT THE !@#$?????

Blasphemy!

could be Corellon's (http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii523/JadeScimitar/corellonsymbol_zps0394f4cf.jpg) b:laugh

Maybe it is attempting to look like Mystra's seven stars?

Link (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mystra)

Hah! Actually, that mistake at using a blue-white eight-pointed star is a mishap here in Canon on my part. You see, in my campaign, Mystryl never perished as Karsus' Avatar was thwarted by the players and Karsus slain before he could cast that fateful spell. The Time of the Troubles as well has yet to happen, as we're about a decade prior in time line. So, over the almost 20 years my Campaign has been played, Mystryl's symbol has evolved from a four-pointed blue-white star, with a hollow circle, to that of a blue star which pulses white. Naturally, those years lead me to forget about using the correct Canon symbol for Mystryl. I shall remedy that soon.

Thanks!

vangald
10-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Big fat guys. (wish I could find the clip from My Name Is Earl where he wanders around a prison behind a fat guy in order to stay safe)

mokah
10-20-2012, 11:21 PM
I would like to see day/night cycle added to the game especially since the tech allows it. Besides the obvious mood issues, I use time passing as story hooks all the time. As a builder in NWN2 I have not found it difficult to set a certain mood, because I could simply uncheck a box if I wanted to set an area to use a certain lighting scheme.

this actually brings up another question: Does time pass? Does time matter? Can you have quest hooks only available at certain hours?

All of these would be desirable for telling stories.

valas625
10-21-2012, 12:14 AM
Anyone who read this post previously, ignore it. The problem seems to have fixed itself.

heardist
10-25-2012, 03:33 AM
My questions are:

1. Can we multi class?
2. Will there be prestige classes? eg: Red Dragon Disciple, Weaponsmaster etc?
3. Will there be player housing? (God I hope so)
4: Will crafting be an important aspect in the game?

Thanks.

macabrivs
10-25-2012, 07:17 AM
1. Can we multi class? - I dont know if u are familiar with 4th edition rules for multiclass but they are a bit diferent from 3 or 3.5th... Still, we dont have any information about multiclass yet.

2. Will there be prestige classes? eg: Red Dragon Disciple, Weaponsmaster etc? Again, this is 4th edition rules based game, so insted of prestige class we will have paragon paths.

3. Will there be player housing? (God I hope so)No info about it yet

4: Will crafting be an important aspect in the game?No info about craft aswell yet :/

gillrmn
10-25-2012, 07:58 AM
My questions are:

4: Will crafting be an important aspect in the game?

dev say it will be and "there are some exciting features" in it, if you want to take their word for it.

character progression has not been discussed yet.

player housing using foundry is in wishlist of devs. About it as a seperate feature - we don't know.

heardist
10-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Thank to both of you for your replies.
I am not familiar with the 4th edition rules. Are there any PC games out there that uses it.
I have only played NWN and NWN2.
Thanks.

gillrmn
10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Thank to both of you for your replies.
I am not familiar with the 4th edition rules. Are there any PC games out there that uses it.
I have only played NWN and NWN2.
Thanks.
There is, but do not play. I jokingly told someone the name of that game on these forums before posting the advice 2 mins later after another post not to play. Hence this time I will warn before I name it.
The name of the game is daggerdale. Do not play. period.
This review (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/dungeons-and-dragons-daggerdale-review/) basically sums up Daggerdale. It seems harsh, but sadly it is not.

Finally, D&D:Daggerdale is based on 4e, but do not play it. Now don't say I didn't warn ya :D

There was some social network game Heroes of neverwinter (http://www.facebook.com/HeroesOfNeverwinter), it is 4e (though it is not my type).

jadescimitar
10-25-2012, 10:48 PM
Foundry question

Okay so henchmen, hired npcs will be a part of soloing pc's parties; this has been discussed, but what about non grouped npc , can they be set to attack other non grouped npcs?

Say I want to create the scene in "Dancing with Devils..." Where after 30 seconds a group of hill giants crash into the clearing and start attacking everything in sight that is not a giant in a certain set radius, Pc or non party npc alike.

Wonder if this is possible?

cimeas
10-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Will the main campaign have voice acting?

adaram648
10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
There is, but do not play. I jokingly told someone the name of that game on these forums before posting the advice 2 mins later after another post not to play. Hence this time I will warn before I name it.
The name of the game is daggerdale. Do not play. period.
This review (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/25/dungeons-and-dragons-daggerdale-review/) basically sums up Daggerdale. It seems harsh, but sadly it is not.

Finally, D&D:Daggerdale is based on 4e, but do not play it. Now don't say I didn't warn ya :D

There was some social network game Heroes of neverwinter (http://www.facebook.com/HeroesOfNeverwinter), it is 4e (though it is not my type).

And to think I almost bought that game on release day /shivers

ambisinisterr
10-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Will the main campaign have voice acting?

According to Crypticmapolis the game is capable of voice acting but he's not sure just how much of the game will actually be voice acted.
One key thing Cryptic has been trying to do is to keep the differences between their content and UGC minimal and any voice acting would be a major barrier since, at least for this moment, players will not be given the ability to add voice acting to their content.

alsaroth
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM
According to Crypticmapolis the game is capable of voice acting but he's not sure just how much of the game will actually be voice acted.
One key thing Cryptic has been trying to do is to keep the differences between their content and UGC minimal and any voice acting would be a major barrier since, at least for this moment, players will not be given the ability to add voice acting to their content.

Vocie acting? By players? Uhm... Well, that's risky by anyone attempting it. It could make or break any scenario/quest.

Another question: How will feedback to quest creators work?

zorbane
11-01-2012, 02:45 AM
Another question: How will feedback to quest creators work?

You can leave a reviews

gillrmn
11-11-2012, 04:25 PM
My question is:- ould you only be supporting greater gods or will I have ability to choose their exarch too?

presbytier7
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
My question would be in regards to class abilities. Do we have more variation in abilities than what has been shown in the two class videos(ie. . . Is the Wizard bound to only frost based attacks)?

readymeal
11-12-2012, 12:58 AM
My question would be in regards to class abilities. Do we have more variation in abilities than what has been shown in the two class videos(ie. . . Is the Wizard bound to only frost based attacks)?
this is truly an interesting question, i did not notice that wizard spells were water/ice based only...

elewyndyl
11-12-2012, 10:57 AM
My biggest question is can we please get more info about PvP? We know that full Open World PvP is not supported. However my dream would be that this game could support Capture The Flag Battlegrounds like WOW or Unreal Tournament 2004 does.

I don't expect an answer soon, but sooner or later we should get some more info about PvP.

gillrmn
11-12-2012, 11:05 AM

There are more abilities, but ice abilities are more controlish (i.e. they freeze or slow the target). We already know that there is a black hole kind of attack, magic missile and a few more attacks which are not ice based. However, for control wizard - ice would be the attribute of choice to freeze and slow enemies.

iamtruthseeker
11-30-2012, 12:58 AM
Looking over this thread, I realized this asked for Stormshade and then sorta also parenthesized the rest of the Devs. It sort of suggested if Stormshade was busy, maybe the other devs (and only the devs ad not the rest of Crptic/PWE) would answer.

And what if this was a Marketing question or a pricing question or some other part of the company that could answer?

Therefore, I've decided to rename this thread "Ask Cryptic/PWE About Neverwinter." I'll clear this on the OP and add on this is also for all questions to said staff and not just StormShade or the Devs, but do keep it Neverwinter game-related, thanks.

As to whether this should be stickied or not, we'll let the user and company responses decide that. If it generates enough interrest from both sides, we'll be glad to do so!

gillrmn
01-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Hello!

I have a question for concept artist and map designer.

Is the map of Neverwinter a copy of the map in 4e or you have shuffled things here and there according to your (and players) convenience? I ask because I saw the 4e pnp map in the foundry. However in the walkthrough video, it didn't feel right according to map.

aeroth001
01-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Will we be able to reset out character skills and feats ? I would hate to do a new character every new patch.......

iamtruthseeker
01-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Yeah, 99% positive they got respec. If it's free or not that's the "cosmetic" question?

gillrmn
01-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Yeah, 99% positive they got respec. If it's free or not that's the "cosmetic" question?

Quoted for truth.

:Dpun intended

damionas
01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Two questions

Question 1 is nw.wanmei.com all ready playing the game or are the website designers just keeping up with making sure the info is available to people if the first is true I was under the impression that this title was going to be given to the western area first

question 2 and not sure if this has been asked of the races and classes that will not make launch how long after release are you all expecting before we start seeing additional races or classes more to the point the classes

Question 3 and this will be the last one i ask and not sure if it has been asked but how would you rate the difficulties of the classes that will be in at launch are they going to be easy enough that say a 13 year old could pick the game up or is it a game that you throw at a full on fps gamer

and when are we going to see a video of the devoted cleric healing and damaging sides :o :cool:

gillrmn
01-13-2013, 12:15 PM
Will release after the release here. They need to market more as not many in China know about D&D, so they are spending more money.
They will translate the english version and launch it there like korean games are launched here.

Devs say quite quickly as the new technology makes it easy to develop new races. So it is a question about will and not related to technicalities.

no idea to others

ghosty2a
01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
I'll post this question here, as recommended by gillrmn in another thred.
Will there be double axes, as shown here (http://magicslayer.deviantart.com/ar...16367014&qo=13) in the game?

gevrin
01-16-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm curious about how these classes work..

Are these classes we've been shown solid options we can pick? Like are the Sword and Board Fighter and the Great Weapon Fighter existing as classes of their own, or are they sub options of a Fighter class?

Thing I really liked about Neverwinter Nights was the ability to make whatever the heck kind of Fighter I wanted. I'd focus on greatsword for example, and get all the training for it, but I'd also have a shield and sword (or axe or whatever) in case I needed to use those for surviving certain fights. Or picking out my own ability combinations on my Wizard or Sorcerer or Druid.

... Really, I should ask, how much customization are we allowed with our class types?

meldroth
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
1. How will Death work? I'm hoping for a ten to fifteen minute ban every time I die (after a certain level). It would force people to take breaks, and it would also not be so stiff a penalty to be ragequit material or discouraging.
2. I am hearing about different class builds. Great Weapon Fighter vs. Guardian Fighter for instance. Can we change our builds in-game or even build our own build? Or if I want to switch from a Brawny Rogue to a Trickster Rogue do I have to create a whole new character (hope not!)?

delirium81
01-18-2013, 03:02 PM
I was just wondering a couple different things and I didn't see anything on them yet.

1. Are they going to add any of the ritual system from 4th edition?
2. Is there going to be any crafting at all in the game?

ranncore
01-18-2013, 03:27 PM
... Really, I should ask, how much customization are we allowed with our class types?

Well we don't know everything about this, but we do know that players will be able to assign stat points and pick feats. We also know that several skills are implemented so I think it's safe to assume we distribute our own skill points as well.

1. How will Death work? I'm hoping for a ten to fifteen minute ban every time I die (after a certain level).

That sounds really, really bad.
We know that there are resurrection scrolls, but that's about it.

I was just wondering a couple different things and I didn't see anything on them yet.

There will be crafting, and there is an ingredients collection system that works off of skills (like knowledge: arcana)

gillrmn
01-18-2013, 03:28 PM

1. Are they going to add any of the ritual system from 4th edition?

1. No info. Question asked, we were told no comments yet.
2. There is crafting and devs say its cool - but they won't talk about it yet.

dagger2thugtrap7
01-19-2013, 08:12 AM
I hope devs give us some details before we are going on blasting the slam jam in the middle of Neverwinter CBT:
A few general question:
-What about is the source engine of combat system on keyboard? (Perhaps 1,2,3,4,5 key to enabling skills W/A/S/D to moving, mouse buttons; even if extra mouse button could be used!)
-Where could we start in the beginning (in the FR city, everyone in same location or elsewhere)? Will there be pre-storylines of classes be traversed ?
-How about are the abilities? Do we reckon distributing points (e.g. dexterity Basic:10 + adding 5 pt.) and could we conflate combat capabilities during fights like using ray of frost and then smashing the targets with wicked strike?
-How much lore of books can we peruse ourselves?
-Will there be any contents of locations, targets, quests, bonuses, Combat skills/abilities, Foundry missions, events F2P or some of the will be P2P?
-Will be the Foundry in entirety generated by everyone?
-Finally, does it means you (devs) have reclined lots of energy of emerging any glitches which may you have been experiencing lately?
P.S.: I hope I wasn’t so enquirer and they don’t punish me for these questions.

pilf3r
01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
As title implies can any of the devs say if this game will scale well past 4 cores? Basically what cpu would be better a i5-3570 of fx 8350?

quinsareth2
01-20-2013, 01:21 AM
I love the Forgotten Realms, but I don't play computer games and only have a laptop. Is there any chance that Neverwinter will be released for gaming consoles such as PS3?

ambisinisterr
01-20-2013, 01:46 AM
It's extremely unlikely they will release the game for consoles. I won't say never but as far as I know there are no plans to launch the game in a console version.

Consoles and Computers are two completely different beasts. They're not easily interchangeable but with Windows 8 I think that *may* change. So if anything it *might* be released for X-Box in the future if Windows does the work to make things as easily compatible and transferable between the two systems as they plan.

The game should be able to run on most any machine though. Since Neverwinter is a F2P MMO they really want the game available to the most players possible. If you have a dedicated graphics card in the machine it should run even if it's at lower quality.

And here's the sucker punch. A computer for $100 > Any console. I bet you can tell I am a computer only gamer.
But that's only because there's nothing released for a console which my computer can't do better, cheaper and easier. The way I look at it is simple, that PS3 costs more than comparable computers and can't do 1% of the tasks you can do on a 30 year old computer. ;)
Save some money, skip the PS4 and get a computer with a dedicated graphics card. :D

dioxazine
01-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I'd help out, but I'm really only qualified to answer questions directly related to the painting of elf babes.

gillrmn
01-20-2013, 07:37 PM
I'd help out, but I'm really only qualified to answer questions directly related to the painting of elf babes.

It just so happens I have a question related to art ... well not exactly but...

We all have seen the Neverwinter map in PnP. Does you game copy that map to recreate protector's enclave exactly or do you - just adapt it and move around buildings at your convenience to make it players easier to cover distances?

iamtruthseeker
01-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Show us your pics!

Wait...that kinda came out creepy :D

hrothgar22
01-20-2013, 09:49 PM
Ok my questions

1. As far as classes to be annoticed is Druid at all a possiblity?
2. Can all the races be all the class i.e. Dwarf Wizard?

deathssickle
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Ok my questions

1. As far as classes to be annoticed is Druid at all a possiblity?
2. Can all the races be all the class i.e. Dwarf Wizard?
I have wondered about the Druid myself

testinukke
01-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Do light sources in Neverwinter actually cast light? So if I wanted to do the standard issue "dark room" type dungeon with only very few strategically placed lights will players be able to utilize torches or similar "mobile" light sources to light their path?

Even more importantly is it possible to make a pitch black dungeon or can players still expect to see without lights when it's "dark".

neoyoshi
01-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Who is responsible for the German/French Language versions of Neverwinter, and which version is currently taking priority in development? Or are all Three versions being developed together?

dagger2thugtrap7
01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
-How do we see the looted items? (Scattered around the ground= near to the body appeared)
1.- If we do, how's that looked like? (Sparkling figures on the ground or utterly enlarged swords, shields, gloves... on earth)
2.-Are there any secret chests, rooms that we could be untangled by a hidden switches or putting sg in actions or uttering enchanting words before we would see them?
-Are there any bags for items we would carry?
-Are few of NPCs acted by our side in combat?
1.-Could we associate them of improving their abilities? I know it is action MMORPG but it would be a nice try to equip them with our bow, mage staff and so on to train them for dual swords of wielding! :cool:
-Will we be able to make UGC, interim previews/scenes insert regarding the quest's reward by the Foundry in short timelines? (Something like that in the midway of the quest your pander blaze a trail in a dungeon in a video and then enemies trap you!)
1.-And it won't be a sound-recorded preview, just submitted set speech or eligible written speech.
2. These videos will be prepared via foundry but not pre-recorded!

sarrivin
01-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Do light sources in Neverwinter actually cast light? So if I wanted to do the standard issue "dark room" type dungeon with only very few strategically placed lights will players be able to utilize torches or similar "mobile" light sources to light their path?

Even more importantly is it possible to make a pitch black dungeon or can players still expect to see without lights when it's "dark".
I think they didn't make it as complex. But yes, that's a good idea. It just adds tons of atmosphere. So Cryptic could place some switch in Foundry, i.e. "Advanced". That switch could add more complex options for advanced users, and some of them could be related to sources of light. Making dungeons really dark is great, but at the same time I think developers could need to change to whole game to make it really integrated - add torches, lanterns etc. And while that would be beyond awesome ;), I bet it's a complexity which they'd label as more annoying than fun to average Joe.
The problem is that in NwN series all that was possible. We could menage sources of light, sound radiuses etc. I remember some of the best modules I've played were the ones where I needed to carry a torch and fight monsters (zombies!) coming from beyond my light radius. Creepy but unforgettable.

ghrys
01-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Questions:
1) Will there be items/powers/abilities purchased for cash that cannot be earned otherwise?
2) Will players be limited as to the amount of content they are permitted to submit via the foundry?

umaeko
01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Are your elves going to have the correct range of colors for Forgotten Realms? For example, moon elves are not supposed to be a Tolkien-like caucasian; their skin-tone is pale and often (meaning 'normally') leaning toward being blue-tinged.

Yup, pale blue-tinged skin. No, I'm not smoking anything wierd. Neither am I trying to start anything related to smurf jokes. Check this out:
Like all eladrin, the Teu-tel-quessir are tall, close to humans in height, but more slender and beautiful. Moon elf skin is pale, often with an icy blue hue. Moon elf hair is commonly black, blue, or silvery white, although human-like colors are heard of as well, though very rare. Moon elf eyes, like those of other eladrin, are very commonly green, although some are blue as well. All exhibit a characteristic best described as golden flecks speckled through the iris. Male moon elves are typically taller than females.I know, I know... wikis aren't always accurate, but if you dig in the books, you'll see the wiki is really just parroting them here.

Now, in the interest of honoring elf chicks everywhere, here's one (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/179/8/7/87a5f091564b449c7e8d4e1a93247bc6.jpg) or two (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/115/4/5/459796aa89769039521c76698a512f04-d4xitju.jpg) examples of a nubile moon elf ranger.

morbic
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
What is the maximum time a utility or encounter type buff that effects the caster and the party will last? Is an encounter the duration of 1 fight, multiple fights, or a timed duration?

Or what if it says it lasts for the encounter while in the zone from the 4E rules?

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 12:22 AM

If you're speaking in technical terms, we have 2 types of lights in Neverwinter. There are vertex lights, which are static and baked into the environment, save for some specular effects you get when a character walks by. Then there are dynamic lights which are calculated every frame, cast shadows, and can be switched on or off or moved.

In the Foundry you can create rooms with no lights in them, so you can make a very dark and difficult to navigate environment. You could then use triggers to turn lights on and off.

There is one caveat in that we put a very faint light on the player character at all times, so you can never get the area immediately around the player character to be 100% black.

Even so, you can make the kind of content you're describing in the Foundry :)

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
What is the maximum time a utility or encounter type buff that effects the caster and the party will last? Is an encounter the duration of 1 fight, multiple fights, or a timed duration?

Or what if it says it lasts for the encounter while in the zone from the 4E rules?

An encounter is one fight, however the "once per encounter" rule in 4E doesn't apply in Neverwinter. Everything is on a timer cooldown, so there is no maximum time an effect or buff can last.

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 12:37 AM
-How do we see the looted items? (Scattered around the ground= near to the body appeared)
1.- If we do, how's that looked like? (Sparkling figures on the ground or utterly enlarged swords, shields, gloves... on earth)
It works a lot like Borderlands. Loot falls out of your slain foes and you collect individual drops. The drops use models that represent vaguely what it is, so if it's a rare sword you'l see a glowing purple sword stuck in the ground.
2.-Are there any secret chests, rooms that we could be untangled by a hidden switches or putting sg in actions or uttering enchanting words before we would see them?
Yup!
-Are there any bags for items we would carry?
Yes, as well as bags specifically for crafting supplies.
-Are few of NPCs acted by our side in combat?
1.-Could we associate them of improving their abilities? I know it is action MMORPG but it would be a nice try to equip them with our bow, mage staff and so on to train them for dual swords of wielding! :cool:
Companions are in the game and you can outfit them with some gear and enchantments.
-Will we be able to make UGC, interim previews/scenes insert regarding the quest's reward by the Foundry in short timelines? (Something like that in the midway of the quest your pander blaze a trail in a dungeon in a video and then enemies trap you!)
1.-And it won't be a sound-recorded preview, just submitted set speech or eligible written speech.
2. These videos will be prepared via foundry but not pre-recorded!
A cutscene editor would be amazing in the Foundry! I think it will happen some day, but not for launch.

Hope that helps!

kyllroy2
01-23-2013, 01:18 AM
It works a lot like Borderlands. Loot falls out of your slain foes and you collect individual drops. The drops use models that represent vaguely what it is, so if it's a rare sword you'l see a glowing purple sword stuck in the ground.

Is this loot subject to thieving ambush or stealth sniping while the battle rages? Implications gush like a veritable fountain...:eek:

lordxeran
01-23-2013, 02:13 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the wonderful info, me and my gf can't wait for this game to come out. We even each bought a copy of PC Gamer for the codes. A few quick questions though, those that PR will let you answer.

1. How many classes are being shot for at launch? Not differing builds but actual different classes, such as fighter and rogue, not GWF and GF.
2. What will the tab button be auto-assigned to do in the game?
3. Will there be a dps-style wizard?
4. Any ranged (non spellcasting) classes in the works?
5. Can we create foundry content that allows more then five simultaneous players?
6. Can I haz beta be start now?

gillrmn
01-23-2013, 03:04 AM
Cool! This is something new!

A cutscene editor would be amazing in the Foundry! I think it will happen some day, but not for launch.

Thanks and keep spying cryptic for us! :D

"now go back to being a spy"

m1ndfr1k
01-23-2013, 05:39 AM
will u add other races to this game????? atm they are same like in other mmo(nothing unique or interesting)

dagger2thugtrap7
01-23-2013, 07:26 AM
-Can we use interactive methods of slaying our enemies? (Something like that destroyable walls, barriers, trapdoors on flooring, effusing hated pitches)
-Will the game be splitted into maps of PVE/PVP or we could run against PVP char.-s in anywhere?
-Could we reach scores on non-combat skills? (Like persuasion, stealing, slink, diverting, trap-making)
-Could we achieve distributing points that individually kind of beseem/behove our character? (running speed, attack speed, agression, uninterrupted combat skill/ability etc.)

Thanks Devs for your responses:cool:

jdk2011
01-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Is ravenloft content possible down the road?

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Is this loot subject to thieving ambush or stealth sniping while the battle rages? Implications gush like a veritable fountain...:eek:

Other people can't see your loot drops unless you are grouped with them. In a group we will allow for different loot rules set by the team leader which determine if you use need/greed, round robin, free for all, etc.

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 04:39 PM
-Can we use interactive methods of slaying our enemies? (Something like that destroyable walls, barriers, trapdoors on flooring, effusing hated pitches)
Yes, our testers have often applauded the ability to use environmental traps against enemies. Traps and pits are just as deadly to enemies as they are to adventurers.
-Will the game be splitted into maps of PVE/PVP or we could run against PVP char.-s in anywhere?
There is no open world PVP planned at this time. PVP will take place in instanced maps and will be very much opt-in.
-Could we reach scores on non-combat skills? (Like persuasion, stealing, slink, diverting, trap-making)
I'm not sure where the design department intends this system to be at launch, but as it is now, there are no skill levels on non-combat skills. You either have the skill or not, and you can use a magic item to temporarily gain a skill you need.
-Could we achieve distributing points that individually kind of beseem/behove our character? (running speed, attack speed, agression, uninterrupted combat skill/ability etc.)
Feats allow you to augment a lot of that stuff, and things like run speed are usually increased through gear and enchantments.

Thanks Devs for your responses:cool:
No prob, I'll answer what I know about :)

crypticmapolis
01-23-2013, 04:41 PM
will u add other races to this game?????

Races will be continuously added to the game and we already have post-launch plans for it in place.

macabrivs
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
First of all thanks for answer some of our questions.

- Any word about rituals ?
- Does Paragon paths allow us to get new powers or feats ??
- How passive skills will work, u said u have passive skills or u dont... hows a rogue can find traps (as an example) if he has preception he will automatly spot the trap ??
- Does the feats we saw in German review will be the same for all classes ?? (not speaking about the feat tree of paragon paths)
- All the gear u get from delves or quests will be bound ?
- Will we be "stuck" with the 6 encounter, 3 dailys and 3 at-will spells per class at launch ?

Sry if some of the questions was already answerd and i miss it :)

Thansk in advance

iamtruthseeker
01-24-2013, 03:45 AM
[sorry image caps means some smilies were removed from quotes]

I think they didn't make it as complex. But yes, that's a good idea. It just adds tons of atmosphere. So Cryptic could place some switch in Foundry, i.e. "Advanced". That switch could add more complex options for advanced users, and some of them could be related to sources of light. Making dungeons really dark is great, but at the same time I think developers could need to change to whole game to make it really integrated - add torches, lanterns etc. And while that would be beyond awesome, I bet it's a complexity which they'd label as more annoying than fun to average Joe.
The problem is that in NwN series all that was possible. We could menage sources of light, sound radiuses etc. I remember some of the best modules I've played were the ones where I needed to carry a torch and fight monsters (zombies!) coming from beyond my light radius. Creepy but unforgettable.

If you're speaking in technical terms, we have 2 types of lights in Neverwinter. There are vertex lights, which are static and baked into the environment, save for some specular effects you get when a character walks by. Then there are dynamic lights which are calculated every frame, cast shadows, and can be switched on or off or moved.

In the Foundry you can create rooms with no lights in them, so you can make a very dark and difficult to navigate environment. You could then use triggers to turn lights on and off.

There is one caveat in that we put a very faint light on the player character at all times, so you can never get the area immediately around the player character to be 100% black.

Even so, you can make the kind of content you're describing in the Foundry

You realize, because of this, some evil person is going to start a Foundry quest like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvkjP6dqpfY). :D

Looks like some questions weren't answered I know, I'll answer those when I can, but just saying not a dev, so do't congratulate me on anything

Are your elves going to have the correct range of colors for Forgotten Realms? For example, moon elves are not supposed to be a Tolkien-like caucasian; their skin-tone is pale and often (meaning 'normally') leaning toward being blue-tinged.

Yup, pale blue-tinged skin. No, I'm not smoking anything wierd. Neither am I trying to start anything related to smurf jokes. Check this out:I know, I know... wikis aren't always accurate, but if you dig in the books, you'll see the wiki is really just parroting them here.

Now, in the interest of honoring elf chicks everywhere, here's one (http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs47/f/2009/179/8/7/87a5f091564b449c7e8d4e1a93247bc6.jpg) or two (http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/115/4/5/459796aa89769039521c76698a512f04-d4xitju.jpg) examples of a nubile moon elf ranger.

Being the quasi sage of FR things slightly esoteric here, I can answer this. Sorry to start with a correction though.

Since the splintering of the one race, Moon Elves are NOT Elf, but Eladin.

In the ancient past, the moon elves reveled in travel and exploration. As a result, though they were the largest in number, their empires were the last to rise. Moon elves today still have this wanderlust, and are thus both numerous and widespread. Open to new experiences and honest by nature, moon elves are often seen as worthy companions by the people they meet in their travels.
Though the Spellplague inspired many sun elves to retreat further into isolation, most moon elves reacted to the tragedy of that period by forming stronger bonds with other races. Many moon elves now consider themselves a citizen of a worldly nation first and an eladrin second. Others have used renewed links with the Feywild to reconnect with their ancient homeland. In turn, a new generation of moon elves now spreads from the Feywild to explore the world.

Roleplaying a Moon Elf (Eladrin)

Each new day brings new horizons. You feel the wanderlust of your people, and you look to fresh experiences to grant you new insights on life. No matter how much you have seen, the world always offers more to explore.
Magic exists in all things. Most moon elves appreciate the fact that magic can be found anywhere—and often in a surprising form. You know to keep an open mind and accept the power that magic can unlock in even the simplest of objects and weakest of creatures.
A hidden good cannot be great. While the sun elves built up empires in isolation, the moon elves explored the world and saw their culture thrive and grow. In the same way, you know that good deeds should not be hidden. Others who witness acts of charity and nobility take strength and hope from them. Righteousness should be bolder than villainy.

Here is a 4e Updated pic (tattoo not required) for you all:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100410013632/lrpc/images/b/b4/Eladrin_-_Female_(Thenalia).png

[complies under the on-topic thread posting.)

At the time of this reply, Eladin are not yet released, but I know they are wishlisted most certainly! As for if they will be released for launch, only the devs can say or if they will plan the Eladin for post launch. But Cryptic is known for their attention for detail, and rest assured I have seen them do tinting options that can meet the Eladin sub race to its appropriate colors when released, or allow you to make one with that color.

Hey guys, thanks for all the wonderful info, me and my gf can't wait for this game to come out. We even each bought a copy of PC Gamer for the codes. A few quick questions though, those that PR will let you answer.

1. How many classes are being shot for at launch? Not differing builds but actual different classes, such as fighter and rogue, not GWF and GF.
2. What will the tab button be auto-assigned to do in the game?
3. Will there be a dps-style wizard?
4. Any ranged (non spellcasting) classes in the works?
5. Can we create foundry content that allows more then five simultaneous players?
6. Can I haz beta be start now?

1. I can't go into details, but the GWF is virtually a completely different class than the GF. You really should consider these like a fully mapped out Essentials Build (in a good way just in case we have any fellow Essentials line haters for what it almost did to 4E.) I'll leave that answer to th devs, but know the time it takes to finish a class varies, even from the initial estimates of coding and testing before player testing.
2.Each class uses it differently, so it's not a simple answer. I can't mention any detail comparisons as it's under NDA but if the devs want to show their examples how it differ es from a (looks up) cleric and GWF, they can. It's NOT a targeting button. Finally, this button like others can be remapped of course.
3. Yes. That's what the control wizard does with its powers as well as control powers. If you mean will there be a class that is a striker based first like a sorcerer or another variant of wizard that is considered more damaging, I'll let the devs answer that in a future reply, as they are very tight lipped about the other class builds short of the GWF variant. (I don't blame them as they are under NDA too and have to get permission on new disclosures.)
4. Rogue has ranged abilities, but I can't detail it unless it's been mentioned. We know nothing if ranger is ranged, melee or both, so we'll have to wait for that class info to be released. The movement the GWF does is amazingly awesome, but best I can say is some of his powers and leaps make him just honorarily ranged :) But yes devs, if you have a main attack non spell-casting ranged class in the works, let us know even if you can't share details please
5. It's nothing to do with Foundry. The maximum group size is 5, enforced from the 4E system no less from the 3.x system (although many house-ruled the tabletop to 6.) Some events will have much more than 6, as will PvP of course.

And I hope this translates from lolcat to English for you all,
6. No :p

Is ravenloft content possible down the road?

That's not in Neverwinter, so is not likely to be in any immediate release. It's not the same cosmology as the old way did the demiplane of dread either, but it ca work the same as showing up anywhere...

Feel free to make it in Foundry missions though.

First of all thanks for answer some of our questions.

- Any word about rituals ?
- Does Paragon paths allow us to get new powers or feats ??
- How passive skills will work, u said u have passive skills or u dont... hows a rogue can find traps (as an example) if he has preception he will automatly spot the trap ??
- Does the feats we saw in German review will be the same for all classes ?? (not speaking about the feat tree of paragon paths)
- All the gear u get from delves or quests will be bound ?
- Will we be "stuck" with the 6 encounter, 3 dailys and 3 at-will spells per class at launch ?

Sry if some of the questions was already answerd and i miss it

Thansk in advance

No discussion about rituals. It's difficult to do things in an MMO that are listed taking hours sometimes and translating 10 minutes (for the rest) into an MMO non wait or wait for bars to finish pain.

Yes. Feats are a separate point tree however.

The game takes care of if/when we see traps. But only one with the thievery skill can handle them.

No. Each class has their own feat tree.And it looks like the feat specialty branches at the end too. Thank you screenshots and videos.

No. Stuff drops you can pick up and use without binding as well as bind on equip, I remember reading this somewhere but all I can say is confirmed. But all the big end rewards are likely to bind.

Based on your question, it's likely you may not understand how 4E works. While 4E starts you with 2 at will (and stays at 2 not 3) 2 encounter, and 1 daily and ends with the number mentioned as well as multiple utility powers, you can swap out powers throughout your adventurer's career. Sometimes it's all but required in the rules to keep powers updated based off of monsters at that tier and level. Your number suggested the end amount at l 30 of tabletop. I won't list the actual number because of what I'm entering next.
The mmo game will give you powers in an unlock tree, allowing you to swap powers. The selection exceeds your numbers, and even exceed the at wills of 2 or 3 (based on the screenshots and what was viewable from what little paragon I saw shown to the public) before we even enter the Epic tier! Now, I can't give specifics both they are still testing things and NDA makes me unable to list a final number here. Again this may change at launch, but you have to earn a lot of other at-will encounter and daily powers before you can get them. But like most MMO's that's true still.

gillrmn
01-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Rogue has ranged ability with daggers. It was told somewhere.

Also another thing to note is that all the powers of rogue shown in trailer "The seige of Neverwinter part 2" are actually available for use in game. How cool is that!

She uses daggers in that video.

daosage
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Are we going to be able to put puzzles into Foundry content? I'd love to be able to add obstacles aside from just encounters with other beings into dungeons. I guess I know that there WILL be puzzles, I'm more curious about what kinds of puzzles we can put into missions.

kyllroy2
01-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by crypticmapolis
Other people can't see your loot drops unless you are grouped with them. In a group we will allow for different loot rules set by the team leader which determine if you use need/greed, round robin, free for all, etc.

Wow! Love this feature. So much learned and applied from mistakes of years and games gone by. Thank you.

dagger2thugtrap7
01-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Are you having that issue if the drops are outfitted to you or hitch to other class then you could sell them randomly for the benefit of appropriate tool from Vendor Seized Toolset? (Id est. you reach a mage cloak that outfits to you then you will sell it, but not for the benefit of its price. If you’ve sold this- and other players have done the same thing with else items inter alia fit tool to you- so as to be redeemed for fit tool to you .)
-Or drops always fit for us, but if we go in team group then how do we gain loots for our team member?

-Will options be there if we join a Foundry quest which has been being acting by a few player so as to continue in the same instance hold their locations and glowing loots for unchanging when we'll rally on this quest?

asdanin
01-25-2013, 02:13 AM
1. What will be the playerlimit of a zone created in the Foundery?
2. Will it be possible to create a Foundery Quest where every player who takes it get's send to same instance (or gets the option to join open instances)?
3. Will you be able to edit maps of other creators, by copying them and creating a new version with your changes?
3.1 If 3 is yes. Will you need the permission of the author or is there going to be somekind of copyleft?
4. Will it be possible to take areas from the game (not important if they are complete or you just get the "environment") and use them for Foundery Quests?

macabrivs
01-25-2013, 06:13 AM
No discussion about rituals. It's difficult to do things in an MMO that are listed taking hours sometimes and translating 10 minutes (for the rest) into an MMO non wait or wait for bars to finish pain.

Yes. Feats are a separate point tree however.

The game takes care of if/when we see traps. But only one with the thievery skill can handle them.

No. Each class has their own feat tree.And it looks like the feat specialty branches at the end too. Thank you screenshots and videos.

No. Stuff drops you can pick up and use without binding as well as bind on equip, I remember reading this somewhere but all I can say is confirmed. But all the big end rewards are likely to bind.

Based on your question, it's likely you may not understand how 4E works. While 4E starts you with 2 at will (and stays at 2 not 3) 2 encounter, and 1 daily and ends with the number mentioned as well as multiple utility powers, you can swap out powers throughout your adventurer's career. Sometimes it's all but required in the rules to keep powers updated based off of monsters at that tier and level. Your number suggested the end amount at l 30 of tabletop. I won't list the actual number because of what I'm entering next.
The mmo game will give you powers in an unlock tree, allowing you to swap powers. The selection exceeds your numbers, and even exceed the at wills of 2 or 3 (based on the screenshots and what was viewable from what little paragon I saw shown to the public) before we even enter the Epic tier! Now, I can't give specifics both they are still testing things and NDA makes me unable to list a final number here. Again this may change at launch, but you have to earn a lot of other at-will encounter and daily powers before you can get them. But like most MMO's that's true still.

First of all i want to thank you for answer my questions truth.

Im very familiar with pnp D&D 4th edition thats why i made the question about been "stuck" with a certain amount of powers per class. I said 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys coz that was the nunbers i saw from all screenshots and videos. U can say that u can have only 3 encounters, 2 dailys and 2 at-wills at ur disposal during the fights and i agree with it, my concern is that in pnp u have MUCH MORE than 6 encounters, 3 at-wills and 3 dailys to chosse per class, i know u can only pick one each lvl but at least we have some to chosse from...

(from what i know) In neverwinter online u will be "stuck" to a certain number of spells the entire game without a choice to change them, yes u can swap powers to be active for combat but u will have the same (lets say) 6 encounter power for all the game.... ??

Let me put u some numbers from pnp... a fighter as an example can chosse 5 at-wills, 27 encounter powers and 16 daily powers (not counting with utilities, items clicks, racial powers or other books. Those number are only from playershand book) and thats only lvl 20 fighter (ofc u cant have all those powers chosen to ur class, thats just all the power fighters have for u to get)

Dont get me wrong, im not certain of how many powers each class can have and i uderstand the game as an MMO cant hold that many powers like pnp does but if the numbers that i metion are correct its rly small amount of powers per class.

PS: Im giving u those number from the chinesse video, they show the powers u will have at character creation when u pick the class u want to play with, that info was release in september i believe so i might be out of date.

testinukke
01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the answer to my previous question about lights crypticmapolis. Here's another one. Is it possible to create custom particle effects? Basically is there any sort of customizable particle emitter? If there is what level of control we have over the particle generation? Also can we bind it to nodes/objects so it moves with them and can we assign different sprites/texture overlays to them?

Edit: Also if we have particle emitters and controls it might be nice to have an option for static particles in addition to animated ones.

gillrmn
01-26-2013, 04:26 PM
..., yes u can swap powers to be active for combat but u will have the same (lets say) 6 encounter power for all the game.... ?? ....

The number of total powers has not been fixed or finalized. It can be 10, it can be 20 or more. But it will at least be 10.

ambisinisterr
01-26-2013, 06:22 PM
...snip...

If you are asking will loot be random or will loot be random (but generated for party members) then the answer is completely random.

There will be an in game economy where players can sell their loot.

Frankly I don't see the challenge in a game which only hands you items you need/want.